Chapter 4

After the campaign, Dan was more determined than ever to make a meaningful impact. He threw himself into his research on end-of-life services, a field that was both controversial and ripe for disruption. The ethical debates we encountered during the campaign had left a mark on him, and he saw an opportunity to challenge the status quo in a way that politics hadn't allowed.

His network of contacts, cultivated during his time with Governor Cartwright, proved invaluable. Dan began to meet with investors, pitch his ideas, and build the foundation of what would become his business. The concept was simple yet provocative: provide a dignified and voluntary end-of-life option for those who could no longer bear the suffering of prolonged existence.

I watched as Dan transformed from a passionate campaigner into a shrewd businessman. He spent countless hours developing the business model, navigating the legal landscape, and securing funding. It was during this time that his interest in psychology and game theory truly came into play. He approached the venture with a cold, analytical mindset, viewing each decision through the lens of cost-benefit analysis and strategic influence.

Despite my reservations, I stood by him. The memory of his grandmother's plea still haunted me, and I understood, in some way, the motivations behind his drive. But as the business grew, so did my unease. The more successful Dan became, the more he seemed to lose touch with the empathy that had once defined him.

Our lives changed dramatically. I am omitting the name of the company to reduce its scar on humanity and will only refer to it as what it truly was, Death Inc. Dan's company, Death Inc., quickly gained traction, attracting both fierce criticism and fervent support. The media coverage was relentless, and we found ourselves in the spotlight more than ever. Dan thrived in this environment, his confidence and charisma drawing in investors, clients, and even more political allies.

At home, however, things were different. The long hours and constant stress took a toll on our relationship. I tried to maintain a semblance of normalcy, but it was difficult. The superficiality I had despised on the campaign trail now seemed to pervade every aspect of our lives. We were no longer just Dan and Rachel; we were part of a larger narrative, one that was spinning out of our control.

One evening, after another exhausting day, Dan came home with a triumphant look on his face. "Rach, we did it. We've just secured a major partnership with the largest healthcare provider in the country. This is going to change everything."

I tried to share his enthusiasm, but all I could think about was the ethical implications. "Dan, are you sure this is the right path? The more successful we become, the more we seem to lose sight of the humanity in all of this."

He sighed, his expression softening. "I know it's hard to understand, but this is bigger than us. We're giving people a choice, a way to end their suffering with dignity. Isn't that worth it?"

I wanted to believe him, but a part of me couldn't shake the feeling that we were crossing a line. As Dan's ambitions grew, so did my doubts. Yet, I couldn't deny the love I still felt for him, even as he drifted further from the man I had married.
Death Inc. continued to expand, becoming a global enterprise. The average lifespan increased, and with it, the demand for Dan's services skyrocketed. The cost of living soared, and many found themselves unable to afford Death Inc.'s standard services.

During this time, the strain on our marriage deepened. I still wanted children, a dream that never faded despite the years passing by. But Dan's mission to create a world worthy of children seemed like an unreachable goal, in this expanded lifetime anyways. He was consumed by his work, and the ethical dilemmas that plagued me seemed to be mere obstacles to him. I held onto hope, supporting him as best I could, believing that his vision might one day align with a future where we could raise a family.