٣٦

HIS NIQABI GIRL

"Asaad! Asaad!" A shaky voice called out as I pulled away from the intense kiss my husband and I had just shared.

It was Aseeyah, running down the staircase, panting heavily. Yas followed suit behind her and Asaad and I shared a look of concern.

"Aseeyah, what's wrong?" He asked, furrowing his eyebrows.

Once she was standing in front of us, she began trembling.
"It's dad, h-he was rushed to the hospital. He had an asthma attack, he was found almost too late, the doctors are working on stabilizing him, we need to get going, quick !" She rambled as she paced outside the building.
Asaad took my hand in his as the three of us followed behind Aseeyah while I adjusted my Niqab over my face.
I had never witnessed her in such a perturbed state before and it saddened me.

Asaad and I got into one of the parked cars while Yas and Aseeyah drove in another.

The ride was eerily quiet and simply appalling as Asaad sprinted beyond speed limit. I was at the verge of puking, yet terrified of his reaction if I spoke a word. I watched how his hand was wrapped tightly around the steering and how pale his knuckles had gotten.

His eyes were fixed on the road ahead and it was almost as though he had completely forgotten about my presence.
I could only imagine the multitude of thoughts going on in his head. The cold air blew strongly and I was beginning to shiver slightly.

I had to fix this.
I reached out and squeezed his free hand with mine.

"I can only imagine what you are feeling right now. But I need you to calm down my love, you have no control over this, just trust in Allah that he'll be fine" I spoke softly, closely watching his side profile.

He turned to look at me briefly and in that moment, I felt something I had never felt before as his facial expression softened and he squeezed my hand tighter, like he was trusting me, like I had given him some sort of hope and he was holding on to it tightly.

Was this what love felt like?

Walking through the hospital doors reminded me of when Ummi had been battling cancer. And now, that felt like a lifetime ago. I silently thanked Allah as I held my husband's hand tightly. I was struggling to keep up with his pace as I could sense the tension and urgency of the situation.
He needed to see his father, to be with him, to ensure he was alright.
Yas and Aseeyah hadn't arrived yet while we waited at the corridors leading up to Mr Khaled's hospital room.
Onr of the doctors came out, and Asaad ran up to him. I couldn't make out their conversation but I noticed Asaad's body language relax slightly. The doctor walked past me as Asaad turned to face me.

"He is responding . He says dad should be alright In shaa Allah and we have nothing to worry about. They'll let us know when we can go in" he informed me. I nodded, releasing a breath.

"Alhamdulillah" I replied. He pulled me into a hug.

"And yes, I love you too. We also have a lot to iron out....later" he whispered in my ear, before planting a kiss on my forehead.

I felt my knees got wobbly and my cheeks heat up at his words and actions.

Ugh!

*******************************

Once Aseeyah and Yasmin had arrived, Asaad briefed them on what the doctor had said. There were also two body guards and my father in-law's personal assistant standing by the door.