xxix. 𝐬𝐭𝐞𝐩-𝐝𝐚𝐝𝐬 𝐠𝐨 𝐛𝐨𝐨𝐦

//chapter twenty-nine• step-dads go boom

• step-dads go boom

JOHN B IS THE  only one who goes into Shoupe's office to give him the tape. Andrew considered going in too, but the last time he tried to turn in a Cameron, he was left more traumatized than believed. He's not particularly begging to see Shoupe either. The only interaction they had that day was him boring holes into the cop's skull, watching him listen to the tape incriminating Ward and Rafe, his mustache twitching when he heard the man talk about Andrew, knowing he contributed to that. 

When he was done, he nodded at the boy. Andrew just scowled the left the police station.

Now, sitting on the chateau's porch with Sarah, he watches everyone celebrating. Which he agrees with, he just doesn't have the energy to join, and he doesn't want to hurt Sarah.

Still, Andrew was happy with this. He didn't want the entire rest of his life to depend on a Cameron. And while people called him a Cameron, Andrew knew he wasn't one. He didn't fit the all American family mold. He was half-Korean, didn't blend with the others at all, though, Sarah refused to ever let him feel left out. The person her was alienated most by was his own mother. 

Everything Andrew ever had, his family kept taking. And if he had to depend on one of them, it's Sarah, but he still felt entirely shackled to people who wanted nothing to do with him. Rose could put on a show all she liked, but she didn't really want Andrew back, she wanted Andrew to disappear, to not be a problem for her and Ward anymore. She didn't really love her son.

And Andrew knew that, no matter how hard a pill it was to swallow.

Just like Sarah knew that her father and brother deserved to go to jail.

While they're on the porch, Sarah gets a call. From Stomper. Which annoys Andrew until she tell him what he's just called about.

Sarah wanted to see her father one last time before he was taken away. A look from Andrew, menacingly standing behind her, was enough to silence anyone who would try to disagree with her. They were going, end of story.

They're back in the cramped Twinkie, and cop cars zoom past them. Andrew can almost physically see panic seize Sarah as she urges them to go faster, to at least be there for Wheezie, who's about to see her father being taken away by cops.

John B only answered that he wouldn't miss this.

When they get to the Cameron's house, and all six teenagers are on their  tiptoes, trying to see what's going on behind the fence around the Cameron's house. John B jumps over, JJ boosts Andrew up, and the others follow suit, even a frazzled Kiara and a terrified Sarah.

There are sirens and cops shouting when they reach the shore. Ward is on the Druthers, his boat, taunting them with a glass of whiskey.

Wheezie is fighting Rose to get out of the house when she sees her siblings, the ones she hasn't seen in months. The sister she thought was dead and the brother who ran away.