The Heirs of the Dragon: Part V

[Malcolm's chambers, Small Council wing, Red Keep]

Malcolm is awoken by someone banging on his door early in the morning. He sits up and the banging resumes. He gets out of bed and puts a sleeveless grey robe on and ties it before running to the door.

Malcolm: I'm coming damnit!

He opens the door to see a guard.

Guard: His Majesty King Viserys has called a Small Council meeting.

Malcolm nods to the guard and waves him away before shutting the door. Lana sits up from the bed.

Lana: What was that about?

Malcolm: Viserys called a meeting. I swear we're the only people in this goddamn city who sleep.

Malcolm takes off the robe and throws it on the bed, then puts on trousers and boots. Lana stands up and puts the robe on.

Lana: If you didn't want to be called upon you should have refused the position and let us stay on Trenyth.

Malcolm: Or in Oldtown.

Lana: No, Kayne prays too loudly in the morning.

Malcolm: He does, I guess Trenyth is where we'll escape to after Aemma's birth.

Malcolm puts on a white shirt and a sleeveless black coat. Lana wraps her arms around Malcolm and begins to tie his coat shut.

Lana: Are we really leaving?

Malcolm: Aemma has had too many pregnancies as is, she's done. If the child is a boy then Viserys inheritance is out of my hands. If it is a girl then Daemon will have no legitimate opposition. Either way, I don't need to stay and I can no longer tolerate Viserys, his Small Council, or their idiocy.

Malcolm grabs Lana's wrists tenderly and brings her hands up, kissing her knuckles.

Malcolm: Go back to bed, I should be back by breakfast.

Lana cups his face and kisses his cheek, then returns to the bed while Malcolm grabs his greatsword and leaves.

[Small Council Chambers]

Malcolm enters to find Daemon and most of the Small Council already seated.

Malcolm: I assume this is your fault.

Daemon: Most likely, yes.

Malcolm takes his seat next to Daemon and puts his marble in the holster. Malcolm's marble has a sword painted onto it, Lyonel Strong's has a scale on his, Corlys has a ship on his, Mellos' has a circle made of chains on his, and Lyman Beesbury's has a coin, while Daemon's is blank.

Malcolm: So what have you done that caused us to be summoned so early?

Daemon: My new Gold Cloaks and I rounded up all the criminals. We castrated the rapists, cut the hands off the thieves, cut the tongues from the smugglers, and beheaded the murderers.

Malcolm: And?

Daemon: That's it.

Malcolm: Then why are we here?

The doors open and Viserye and Otto walk in, halfway through a conversation.

Otto: The Prince cannot be allowed to act with this kind of unchecked impunity.

As the pair approach the table, they notice Malcolm and Daemon seated. The other councilors enter after

Daemon: Brother.

Viserys: Daemon.

Daemon: Carry on. You were saying something about my impunity.

Otto: You are to explain your doings with the City Watch.