Chapter 54

October 2, 2024

It's been a week since our foundation week ended. A lot has happened, but me and my friends are still grateful for everything.

"Aqui, are you done?" Zeke asks me while I'm getting dressed for school.

"Almost," I answered.

"I prepared your lunch," he said.

"Thank you," I answered.

Do you guys want to talk about how I'm being babied by him?

Well, ever since those twins showed up, his efforts at taking care of me have just tripled. I don't know what his purpose is, but he doesn't need to do all of this.

I'm already his.

To be honest, I should be the one making the efforts for him because that new girl, Zerena, is just... perfection.

"Let's go," I said when I finished preparing all my things for school.

"I'll take that," he said, taking some of my materials for drawing.

"You're so extra," I said, chuckling.

"Is it bad?" he worriedly asks.

"Of course not," I said.

"I wanted to take care of you," he said.

"I know, and I'm grateful for it," I said.

We arrived at the parking lot, and he instantly maneuvered it.

"Oh, I forgot to say last night. I'll be home late because I have a thing with my classmates," I said.

"What thing?" he asks, furrowing his eyebrows.

"Project," I simply answered.

"Is it going to take long?" he asks.

"I don't know. Maybe," I said.

"Okay, I'll come with you," he said.

"Why?" I ask.

"So we can go home together," he said.

"You're really extra today, but there's no need for that. I know you're getting tired as well. Even a robot needs to be charged," I said.

"Fine, just give me a text so I can at least pick you up," he said.

"Sure," I said.

After a couple of minutes, we arrived at school.

"I'll see you later at lunch," he said.

"Yeah, take care going home," I said, and I gave him a kiss on his cheek.

"I love you," he said.

"I love you too," I replied, smiling.

I didn't wait for him to leave. I just entered our school, and I happen to come across Claire.

"Eli, good morning," she said, greeting me with a wide smile on her face.

"Oh, hi, good morning," I replied, smiling a little.

"Hey, I'm sorry for what happened last week," she apologetically said.

"Oh, it's okay. I don't mind," I said, forcing a smile.

"No, I'm really sorry for what we did. I know you and Zeke are a thing, but I just can't say no to Zandro's offer because it's a big amount of money, and the amount of people that can benefit from it is just so... I'm really sorry, Eli," she said.

"I understand, Claire. You don't really have to apologize for that," I said.

"Really? You're just so kind. No wonder Russelle is so into you," she said, grinning widely.

I chuckled before saying, "Not so much."

"I think he really is, and I'm glad that you two are going strong. Anyway, congratulations for being the highest bid in that auction. I'm sure you're glad as well for raising that much money," she said.

"Yeah, I... am," I said.

"Oh, that's him, right?" she suddenly said, pointing at the front.

I unconsciously looked at where she was looking, and I met Zandro's eyes, but I instantly averted my gaze because there's something telling me not to look at him.

Ever since that day, I always end up thinking about what he said. I know that I shouldn't think about it, but I can't stop my mind from thinking about it.

I'm glad, though, that they just passed us. I don't want any interaction to happen between the two of us.

"I'll get going now," I said to Claire.

"Oh, okay. I'll see you when I see you," she said, waving her hands at me.

That was so awkward.

Anyway, I went straight to my assigned room, and I took my seat.

"Good morning, everyone," our professor said.

"Good morning," we said back.

"Let's start with our discussion for today, but before I start, I just wanted to let you guys know that we will have a graded recitation tomorrow," she said, and we all grunted.

"You all better listen if you want to pass," she added.

After that, she proceeded with her discussion. It took her 3 hours to discuss, and I was exhausted just listening to her.

"Oh, my god! Did you absorb anything she said?" my classmates ask.

"Of course, I have to absorb it even if I don't want to," I said, chuckling.

"Wish me luck for tomorrow, Eli. Lend me that big brain of yours just for a day," she pleadingly said, and I chuckled.

"If only I could," I said.

After that chitchat, I put away all my things and went to the cafeteria.

As I was walking in the hallway, I happened to cross paths with Zandro again. I frowned because he smiled when he saw me, and now he's walking towards me.

Meanwhile, I stopped walking, and I looked at my back because I might be looking at someone behind me.

"Hey," he said, smiling.

I didn't reply, and I just looked at him without any expression.

"What's up?" he asks.

"What do you need?" I ask directly.

"Oh, I was just going to ask you if you know Mrs. Santos?" he asks.

"Hmm," I replied, nodding my head.

"Really? That's good. Do you know where she is?" he asks.

"We just ended our class. She might still be in that room," I said, and I walked out to go to the cafeteria.

Aish! Why do I keep encountering that guy? Am I rude for walking away just like that?

I arrived at the cafeteria, and Zeke gave me a smile and tapped the seat right next to him.

"How's your class?" he asks.

"It's okay, but we have a graded recitation tomorrow," I answered.

"Are you worried about it?" he asks.

"Of course," I said.

"Don't be. I know you'll do just fine," he said, smiling.

"Eli, do you know where Kean is?" Cal asks, changing the topic.

"No, why?" I ask.

"He didn't come home last night," he said.

"Well, maybe he's at his parents," I said.

"No, he said he'd come home last night, but he didn't," he replied.

"Did you call him or give him a text?" I ask.

"Yeah, but he didn't answer," he said.

I took out my phone and tried calling him, but he didn't answer me as well.

"I saw him in our building earlier," Zeke said.

"Did you guys talk?" I ask.

"No, he didn't see me," he said.

"Oh, okay, at least we know he's safe. I'll just talk to him later," I said.

~

The next day, I was surprised when Zandro suddenly entered our room.

"Oh, my god! Isn't that Zandro Monclair?"

"Yeah, he is. What is he doing here?"

"OMG! Don't tell me he's going to be our classmate."

What the fuck? No way.

"Good day, everyone. As you can see, we have a new student who will join our class for the rest of the semester," our professor said.

What the fuck is happening? Isn't he a finance major? Why is he here?

"Do you want to say something in front of the class?" our professor asks.

"Hello, I'm Zandro Monclair, and I hope we can all go along together," he said.

"We sure will," my seatmate said, giggling.

"You may take your seat," our professor said.

After that, our professor proceeded with the graded recitation that she mentioned yesterday.

"Can someone tell me what industrial design is?" our professor asks.

My seatmate raised her hand, and she was called to answer.

"Industrial design is a process of design applied to physical products that are to be manufactured by mass production. It is the creative act of determining and defining a product's form and features, which takes place in advance of the manufacture or production of the product," she said.

"Very good," our professor said.

"How about the main focus of industrial design?" she asks.

No one raised their hands this time, and I'm still constructing an answer in my mind.

"No one? So you guys just know the definition and not the main focus?" our professor asks.

Then, all of a sudden, Zandro raised his hand.

"Yes, Mr. Monclair?" our professor said, raising her eyebrow.

"Well, I believe the focus of industrial design is typically on the physical appearance, functionality, and manufacturability of a certain product, though they are often involved in far more during a development cycle. All of this ultimately extends to the overall lasting value and experience a product or service provides for end-users," he directly said.

What was that? He didn't even stutter. It seems like he really knows the answer.

"That was... well, very good, Mr. Monclair," our professor said.

"Oh, my god! He's so amazing."

"He wasn't even here yesterday. How did he know that?"

"Okay, how about the four types of industrial design?" she asks.

I immediately raised my hand because I happened to memorize it last night.

"The four types of industrial design are product design, transportation design, environmental design, and interaction design. Each type focuses on specific aspects and objectives, which allows businesses to choose the right approach for their products," I said.

"Very good, Mr. Sarmiento," she smilingly said.

Our graded recitation proceeded, and I answered two more questions before the time ran out.

"I didn't answer today," my seatmate sadly said.

"Well, there's always a next time, but make sure that you answer by that time because she might fail you," I said.

"Oh, my god! I can't fail right now. My mom said that I need at least 3.25 this semester or else she won't buy me a new bag," she worriedly said.

What the fuck? Is she okay?

Anyway, I put all my things inside my bag, but my pen kind of slipped out of my fingers, so it fell to the ground.

I instantly bowed down to take it, but I saw someone take it already.

Then, I was about to say thank you, but I was surprised when I saw Zandro in front of me, handing me my pen.

I took it, and he left like nothing happened.

Fuck! I didn't even say thank you or thanks, but he seemed to not bother.

Well, that's good then, so I don't have to make an effort to not talk to him.

After that nonsense interaction, I went out of our room to go to the cafeteria where my friends are.

"Hey, what's up?" Zeke asks when I take my seat.

"Zandro was in my class earlier," I said.

"What? Are you serious?" he asks, frowning.

"Yeah," I answer.

"That motherfucker is really testing me," he said.

"Why? How come?" I ask.

"Don't worry about him. I'll handle it," he said.

"What are you going to do? He didn't say anything to me," I said.

"Well, I don't want to just wait for him to do something to you," he said.

"What will he even do to me? I don't know him," I said.

"Just... don't talk to him, okay?" he pleadingly said.

"I'm not planning to," I said.

"Okay, what do you want to eat?" he asks.

"I'll just have what you have," I said.

"Okay, wait for me here," he said, and he stood up with Leo and Enzo.

"Hey, what are you two talking about?" Cal asks.

"I told him Zandro was in my class earlier," I answer.

"That guy who bid on you?" Adie asks.

"Yeah," I said.

"Did he do it on purpose?" Cal asks.

"I don't know," I said.

"Isn't he a finance major? What class are you taking?" he asks.

"Industrial design," I replied.

"I think he's following you," Adie said.

"Why?" I ask.

"Maybe he has a crush on you, and that's why he bid on you for P100,000," Adie said.

"I mean, why would a normal person do that to someone he doesn't know?" he added.

"What did you guys talk about while you were in that room?" Cal asks.

"Just random things," I said.

Then I remember the things Zandro said about him and Zeke being friends before Zeke betrayed him by taking Tanya for himself.

"Is that so? Then I think he might have taken an interest in you," Cal said.

"Tsk! That's absurd," I said.

"Yeah, but it can happen," Cal said.

The three came back with our food, so we started eating. Then, all of a sudden, Kean showed up.

"Kean!" I called.

"Hey, what's up?" he said.

"Where were you?" I ask.

"I was at home," he said, smiling.

"You said you'd come home the other day, but you didn't," Cal said.

"Uhm, yeah, I'm sorry," he said.

"Did you stay at your parents?" I ask.

"Uhm, no," he said.

"Then where did you stay?" Adie asks.

"I stayed with a friend," he said.

"Friend?" I ask, frowning.

"Yeah," he said, smiling.

What the heck? Why is he smiling?

"Who is?" I ask.

"Wait, why is that guy constantly looking at our table?" Enzo said, and we all looked to see where he was looking.

"Isn't that... the guy who bid on you?" Cal asks.

"What's his name again?" Adie asks.

"Ricky," Kean said.

"Wait, is he the one you're talking to? The friend you stayed at?" I ask.

"Y-yeah," he said, and I can see his chest heaving.

Is he nervous? Why is he panting so hard?

"Are you okay?" Cal asks Kean.

"Yeah, I'm good," Kean said, forcing a smile.

"Introduce him to us," Adie said.

"What?" Kean asks.

"Introduce him to us," Adie repeated.

"Okay," he said.

He then stood up and walked to Ricky's table. They talked for a second before they both walked towards us.

"Guys, this is Ricky," Kean said.

"Hi," Adie said.

"Hello," Cal smilingly said.

"Have a seat," I said.

"Thank you," he replied.

"I'm Elijah," I said, holding my hand.

"It's a pleasure to know you," he said, and I chuckled.

"Hey, Enzo here," Enzo said.

"Leo," Leo said, raising his hand.

"I actually know all of you," Ricky said, chuckling.

"Really?" Enzo asks.

"Yeah, you all are famous," Ricky said.

"That's silly," Kean said, chuckling.

We continue to eat while getting to know Ricky as well. I think he's great.

"Bro, what are your plans for your birthday? How should we celebrate?" Enzo asks.

"Just a simple celebration will do," Leo said.

"Bro, you know we can't do it simply," Enzo said.

"When is your birthday?" Ricky asks.

"October 15," Leo answered.

"Oh, so just a few days away," Ricky mumbled.

"What?" Leo asks.

"Do you guys want to go to our beach house to celebrate?" Ricky suggested.

"Are you sure?" Kean asks.

"Yeah," Ricky said, smiling.

"Really? Where's your beach house located?" Enzo asks.

"Palawan," Ricky answered.

"Woah! I've never been to Palawan," Adie said.

"Me too," Cal said.

"Me three," I said.

"Me four," Kean added.

"Wait, are you really sure it's okay? Isn't it too much for you to offer? I mean, we kind of just met, and yet you're offering your beach house to us," Leo said.

"Yeah, it's not a big deal. Besides, all of you are friends with Hale, so... it's really okay," Ricky said, and he looked at Kean.

Oh, my god. Did he just call Kean by his second name? I smell something fishy right here.

"It's settled then. I guess we're going to Palawan," Enzo said.

"Yehey!" Adie exclaimed.

"Thanks, bro," Leo said, and they bumped their fists.