Chapter 62

February 15, 2025

The next morning, I woke up at around 6 o'clock, and I intentionally didn't look at my phone because I knew that it would be full of Zeke's messages, and I was not in the mood to read it right now.

"How's your sleep?" Cal asks when he sees me coming out of my room.

He was cooking our breakfast in the kitchen.

"It's great," I answered.

"Really? I thought you wouldn't be able to sleep," he said.

"Why?" I ask, frowning.

"Because you didn't sleep beside Russelle," he said, and I rolled my eyes.

"I'm not a baby, Cal. I can sleep alone," I said to him, as a matter of fact.

"Did you guys fight last night?" he asks.

"No," I answered.

"Liar," he said.

"I'm not lying," I said.

"Oh, come on, Eli. We've been friends the minute we came out of our mothers. We're practically twins," he said.

"Tsk!" I snarled.

"So, what is it?" he asks again.

Damn it! He really knows when I'm lying.

"We didn't really fight. I'm just annoyed," I said.

"With Russelle?" he asked, and I nodded.

"How come?" he asks.

"Well, we were supposed to have a date last night to celebrate Valentine's Day, but I got stood up by him," I said.

"What?" he shockingly asks while aso frowning.

"Yeah, he didn't come. I asked him yesterday morning if he had something to do, and he said he doesn't so I ask him out to go on a date. I made a reservation at Red Cuisine. Then, we agreed that he'd pick me up at school, but he didn't, so I just went to the restaurant first since he said he'd follow me there as soon as he finished taking care of his father's orders," I said, and he just listened.

"An hour has passed, but he still didn't come. Then, I saw Zandro come with a girl," I continued and he was surprised.

"What? Really? Did he follow you there?" he asks, and I shake my head.

"Of course not. He has a date that night," I said.

"Okay, and?" he asks.

"And then, of course, I felt so embarrassed because he saw me there alone. I mean, what will he think I'm doing there?" I said.

"Eating, duh," he said, rolling his eyes.

"Alone? On Valentine's Day? On a fancy restaurant?" I sarcastically ask.

"Okay, I get your point," he said.

"I called Zeke again, and he still won't answer me nor reply to my messages. I don't have a choice but to still wait for him to come. Then, the waiter came again, and I also got embarrassed by that because he already came to me twice, and besides, I'm so fucking hungry so I ordered food and eat it without him," I added.

"What happens then?" he asks.

"After eating, I decided to go to the bathroom to wash my hands, and to have a space for myself because I couldn't breathe at that time. I feel so suffocated in there. Then, out of nowhere, Zandro came. I told him to go away, but he said he was there to also wash his hands. He then asked me why I was in the restaurant, and I told him that I was there to eat," I said, taking a pause.