Chapter 21

They didn't get back to the cabin until it was nearly morning, and while Chass had originally planned on resting briefly before going back out again for more hunting, Nash could feel rain coming on the wind.

Sure enough, a storm blew in shortly after sunrise, splashing cold rain down in sheets and chilling the air to the point where Nash could see his breath when he stood on the porch. The drops pelting down knocked leaves off their branches, speeding along the natural process of autumn. Chass had quickly retreated inside the house when it started, and Nash considered bringing in his precious animals, but he'd already fixed the leak in the barn roof, the henhouse was watertight, and the storm wasn't strong enough to do any damage. It was just cold.

Nash breathed in the frigid air with delight. It felt like home. Like the mountains. He raised his face into the wild, wet wind.

A thick coil slid around his waist and Nash yelped in alarm as he was snatched backward and dragged back into the house. He was plopped unceremoniously down in front of the cheery blaze he'd started in the fireplace for Chass, to keep him warm.

"You can't just grab me!" Nash sputtered.

"Why not?" Chass was curled up rather tightly, keeping himself close to the flames. The light danced on his scales in a way that made them almost shimmer. "I'm strong enough."

"It's not about being strong enough, Chass," Nash grumbled, but settled in to lean against Chass's shoulder. They were both resting their backs against a mound of Chass's coils, like he was a pile of pillows. The rain against the roof was calming and the crackling fire only added to the ambiance. Nash relaxed, and Chass hummed.

"You're so warm," Chass curled around Nash a little more. His arm slid around Nash's back and they leaned into each other.

"I'm glad you're here," Nash said. "I'd hate to think of you being in your den during weather like this."

"I wasn't planning on staying for the cold season," Chass admitted. "But I didn't realize how long the journey would be from my warrens to get here. I started back in the beginning of spring, but I didn't arrive to claim this territory until nearly midsummer. And it's taken me longer than I thought to overcome my fear."

What?! Nash sat straight up and spun to face him, eyes wide. "The warrens are that far away?"

Chass, seeming to sense Nash's distress, leaned down and pressed a kiss to Nash's forehead. "My people wanted to be far from humans. They accomplished their goal."

"But... a season and a half away from here, traveling as fast as you do..." I'll never see him again.

The thought was like a sword in his heart. Nash, while coming to terms with the temporary nature of his relationship with Chass, had started to wonder if, maybe, perhaps, Chass would visit him from time to time. Or if, possibly, Nash could even go visit the warrens, if the other H'nor were amenable. He'd pictured the journey taking him a couple weeks, at most.

But several months of travel?

It would be worth it to Nash, of course it would be. But would it be worth it to Chass? And would Nash even be welcome at the warrens? He was human, after all. He was the very thing the H'nor were trying to get away from.

"I will not be returning home yet," Chass reminded him. His coils slid closer, closing in on all sides but the one facing the fireplace. "We've decided to hunt the other men, in the other human colony. Right? It could take us a season or two."

"Right," Nash agreed, his voice tight.

Chass flicked his tongue out in a subtle scenting motion, then frowned. "You're so sad. Why?"