Chapter 14

I leave the castle in the morning in the most inconspicuous way possible. I'm wearing one of the dresses Tuley made for me, especially picked out because of its stark whiteness. The dress I wore to murder Simeon in was white. There is nothing Saraya can deduce from a white dress. However, I'd rather not be wearing a dress at all. Simeon reminded me that most women—regular, middle class women—do, in fact, wear dresses. And they don't carry multiple weapons.

My hip aches for the steadying weight of a belt and full scabbard. I haven't had any weapons since entering the castle. Maybe after my Test Simeon will allow me something.

Oh, but I'm going to my room today in the Headquarters—I'll make sure of it—and grab as many weapons as I can there. Simeon will understand. I hardly doubt he knows I know this, but her never goes anywhere without at least one knife strapped to his arm.

The crisp dawn breeze lifts my hair from my temples and dances up my nostrils. Spring smells so good. If I close my eyes I can be almost anyone, anywhere, out taking a walk just for the pure pleasure of it.

Few people are out and about the city at this early hour. Only the bakers and cooks, assailing my nose and stomach with their scrumptious smells.

I walk down what's called Free Road, the road that's a straight line through the city and up to the castle. The Revolutionaries have mapped out the city and where the safe houses are. In reality, there is no "Headquarter," only eight safe houses. Well, only eight within the Royal City. I must map this all out for Simeon.

After a few minutes, my feet leave the main road to the part of town called Riverside. The house Saraya stays at is many blocks away. It's named Blue Snow. "Blue" for Riverside, "Snow" for Saraya.

As I wander through dirt streets, winding my way between houses squished together like eggs in a carton, the hairs on my neck start to prickle up in anxiety. I'm being followed.

I stretch my mind out behind me, dismayed at all the people that are now piling the streets. I flit quickly between two houses and emerge on the next street over. As I watch, two people do the same several blocks down. Ha, I've caught you now! But I don't recognize them. They must be Simeon's people—my people—following me to Blue Snow. I will myself to relax; these are my allies trailing me.

As the sun rises higher into the sky, replacing the moon, a deep scarlet blazes across the horizon. There are people walking beside me now, neighbor conversing with neighbor. Workers leave their houses, their heavy boots stomping through soil. Amidst all the arising noise, I hear a fain birdcall—a very familiar birdcall. My head perks up, searching the housetops. Ah, there's the little birdy. Brett will never make a good assassin if he can be spotted so easily.

Nevertheless, I pretend like I didn't see him and keep on my way. Not only are Simeon's people following me, but so are Saraya's. Thanks to Brett's alert call. Sure enough, a minute later, two Revolutionaries join Brett in my stalking.

Don't these people know that it's very hard to sneak up on an assassin? I'm trained to do that same—I know all the telltale signs.

And if Saraya's people are following me from the rooftops, they will definitely notice Simeon's people.

With a heavy sigh, I take off running. All my stalkers follow. I weave between houses and streets, jumping over fences and trampling across yards. The surprise, and annoyance, on Simeon's end is greater than that on Saraya's. They knew I'd perform some stunt.

The two from the castle will probably report back to Simeon, accusing me of deserting the Test, saying that I never turned my back on the Revolution. Well, they can be ungrateful. I just saved their lives.