Chapter 4

It seems as if everyone in the city is lined up by the side of the road leading to the castle. So many people wanting to catch a glimpse of their beloved Prince. It sickens me.

            I know that some of the people there are looking for me—the one who failed to kill the Prince…yet.

            And there’s one up ahead, frowning. One of the heads of our group, the one who recruited me and started my training. Until I exceeded her knowledge.

            Saraya Macoy.

            She runs a hand through her long brown hair. Looking down, she smooths out her yellow dress. When she lifts her head, her expression is jubilant. “Prince!” she calls out with the others.

            As we pass by her, I slightly nod my head, but look up at the sky.

            My nod tells her that I’m in control, I have a plan.

            And I’m going to have one.

            She understands an barely nods as well. Even though my eyes aren’t on her, she knows I saw her signal.

            Zirc, unaware of the silent conversation, raises his hand in a greeting to someone farther ahead.

***

The room I’m put into is your classical examination room. A windowless, bare room with only a table and chair made out of steel. Nailed to the floor.

I occupy the chair—my wrists chained to the table, my legs to the chair. I face a thick wood door.

The Prince stands in front of me. Shae is at the door. Peters and Zirc are on either side of the Prince.

“We’ll start tomorrow. And go every day until you talk.” He looks me in the eye. I hold his gaze. “And you will speak.” With that, he turns and leaves. Peters, the new night guard, stays behind.

So I will not sleep tonight either. Or the next.

I will not talk. Ever.

That will be a lot of sleepless nights….

Now, if there weren’t any night guards, I would’ve been fine. The thing is, I’m most vulnerable when I sleep. My mind turns on me, forcing me to relive many, many things.  And, being vulnerable, I scream, kick, fling my arms around, cry.

 So I will stay awake, I will not let these men see me this way.

I shift in my seat—as much as I can—until I’m comfortable…or more comfortable then I was.