Chapter Six

The next day, Muffin woke late. She rose to her paws and padded toward the fresh-kill pile to see if it needed replenishing, but heard a noise that caused her to look up.
"Foggedkit," Puzzlekit padded up to Foggedkit and greeted her. The kit was a white tom with orange patches, and, if rearranged, would seem to almost fit to make one big spot, hence the name. The kit was four moons, while Foggedkit was three. He was Flickerpaw's little brother.
Foggedkit turned to face Puzzlekit, and Muffin could see the nervousment.
"I'm Puzzlekit," Puzzlekit introduced himself. "Do you want to be friends?"
After a moment of silence, Foggedkit answered. "...Okay."
"Do you want to play?" Puzzlekit asked.
"Sure."
"Great! I have a really fun game--you pretend to be Redstar, and I'll be Severedstar," Puzzlekit decided.
"Who is Severedstar?" Foggedkit tilted her head.
"ShadowClan's leader," Puzzlekit explained. "Come on, let's play now!"
As the two kits began their game, Muffin felt her heart swell--Foggedkit had a friend!
"Hey, Muffin," Brackenpaw padded up to Muffin. "Morning patrol?"
"Sounds fun," Muffin dipped her head.
"I'm tagging along," Flickerpaw decided, approaching the two.
"Ah, so exciting," Brackenpaw rolled his eyes sarcastically.
"Clovershine forced me," Flickerpaw snapped. "She thinks it'll help us get along."
"Yeah, well, your mentor is delusional," Brackenpaw glared.
"That's funny, coming from you," Clovershine spoke, suddenly behind them. Brackenpaw jumped. "Don't worry, I'm going too, it won't be just you three. Waspclaw and Pebblebrook are also going."
Muffin felt a bit of relief--at least now Flickerpaw would behave a bit more and stop acting so childish, despite being so much older than her.
"Sorry that I'm a bit late; Ryepaw had a spider on her and freaked out, causing the other apprentices to spiral into a panic and I had to solve it," Waspclaw explained as he gasped for air, dashing up to the group, followed by Pebblebrook. Yet being such an intimidating figure, Waspclaw was a kind tom--he had short, orange tabby fur with yellow eyes.
"'Yeh, well I'm late because Ashentail wouldn't shut up," Pebblebrook rolled her eyes--a pretty face wasted on a cat with such a twisted personality and worldview. She had such a soft, British accent also. The beautiful she-cat had long, nearly curly fur. She was a calico, her base color being white with spaced-out patched black-and-orange fur. She had soft, blue eyes that commonly went from one to ten in a matter of seconds. She had an oriental build with large ears and was on the leaner side.
"Shall we go?" Clovershine asked, and when the other cars dipped their head in agreement, they set off.