𝟸. 𝚃𝚑𝚎 𝙵𝚒𝚗𝚊𝚕 𝚃𝚎𝚜𝚝

The campers hang around in the main room, filling their plates with the delicious breakfast that Mr. Kon so graciously had the BRADs prepare.

"Ahh, the sun is shining, no dinosaurs are chasing us, and most importantly, breakfast is served!" Sammy muses, staring out the large window.

"It feels weird having nothing to worry about for once." Yaz chuckles lightly as she adds food to her plate.

"Yeah, definitely, I myself am very relaxed." Darius nods eagerly, his eyes wide open... for some reason.

"Oh, same. I'm, like... chillllllll..." Brooklyn smiles wide with her cup of coffee.

Yasmina and Sammy stare at the two for a second, pondering their strange behavior before going to sit down.

"Okay, well you clearly aren't very... chilllllll. What is going on with you guys?" Y/N raises an eyebrow, already munching on come bacon.

Darius sighs, "I wanna trust Kenji's dad, I, I really do, but..."

"He gives off total liar vibes?" Brooklyn fills in.

"Yeah..." Darius' face grows worried.

"Yeah, but we can't screw with Kenji's whole life just cuz of some 'vibe'." Y/N adds with a shake of his head.

"No, but what if it turns out we're right?" Brooklyn sighs.

The three of them go silent for a moment, an upset feeling filling the air.

"Yo," The campers swivel their heads to find Kenji coming up behind them.

He swipes a donut up off the table and takes a bite, "What's up bros and girl? Why so doom and gloom in here?"

They all perk up and greet him excitedly.

"That's the spirit!" He praises with a mouth full. "Man, am I pumped for today? Dad actually wants my help!" He playfully nudges Y/N with his arm

Kenji grins wider than Y/N's ever seen and strolls over to the table to sit at the table. The three other campers exchange a glance before moving to join him. They all slide into the booth and stare him down until Brooklyn finally speaks.

"I'm so happy you're happy, Kenj... So!" She abruptly changes tone, "Has he mentioned anything about when we get to call home or... anything like that?"

"We'', you heard him. Just needs a few days to arrange everything safely." Kenji takes a sip of his decaf, "Plus, he's super focused on the presentation right now, you get it."

"Right, uh, now that you mention it," Y/N clears his throat, "Now that dino fights are no longer a possibility, what exactly is he presenting?"

"I'm sure he's doing something super cool using Mae's communication," Kenji shrugs, "We really got through to him! In fact, he even asked me to prep for the investor cocktail party."

"He said, and I quote, 'I'd rather have you do it than those stupid robots'." 

"Wow, Kenji. Nice. How about I help?" Brooklyn offers.

"Oh, sorry, B. Dad's gotta get to know you before he'll trust you with an important assignment like this." Kenji looks down at the table, "It has taken me a long time."

He reaches out and takes her hand in his, "But after I'm done, maybe we can hang out."

"Just the two of us."

"Ohh, like a date?" Darius leans in and wiggles his eyebrows.

"Ehhh?"

Y/N glances at Darius from the corner of his eye, not sure if he should laugh or kick him.