S1 EP4 - NEVER SAY NEVER

"David's downstairs. Can you get him?" Jomo asks me as he sets up a make up chair.

I go down the grand staircase and head to the door. I walk to the through the driveway and open the gate. I see David standing outside with a backpack.

"Come in" I say as I pull the door open wide.

"Holy Shit. This house...." He trails off as he sees what's inside the gate.

"Yep. Holy Shit are the right words" I tell him.

He laughs and stands still to look up and down the house.

"Come on. Jomo's upstairs."

I lead the way to Jomo's room with David behind me. He follows silently as he looks around the house. He seems to be in awe. I remember my first time in Jomo's house and laugh. I was just like David.

Jomo's house is a marvel. A grand mansion with high ceiling and arches for doorways. The tall windows were draped with cream and gold curtains. The whole aesthetic matched the grand golden staircase in the middle of the house.

"He's here" I say as I open the door.

"David!" Jomo greets him and gives him a hug.

"Hiii" David replies.

"Mi case es su casa" Jomo says.
"You can put your bag on the bed" He adds.

David sits on the bed and takes off his shoes. I grab the pile of dirty clothes on the couch and move them to the side of Jomo's bed. I sit down and notice David is still in shock.

"Do you want something to eat?" I ask.

"What do you have?" He asks back.

I smile. I like the fact that he isn't shy to ask.

"Show him, Ads" Jomo tells me.

"Come on" I say.

We go down to the kitchen and I open the fridge.

"There's a ton of jam here and there's bread. There's butter, cheese and ham. There's frozen corndogs... eggs..I can cook you some eggs if you want. There's leftover chicken and pizza on the table.... Oh. And cold pasta. We can heat it up if you like" I finish.

"Will you eat with me?" He asks.

"I guess" I say, suddenly realizing I hadn't eaten anything since breakfast.

"I'll cook the eggs and you make the toast. We'll do egg sanwiches" he tells me.

"OK"

I get some bread from the basket and plug the toaster oven. I text Jomo if he wants a sandwich and he replies.

"No, I already ate. You guys eat and hurry up ok? I don't know how long this face paint thing will take"

I put my phone down and look at David as he cracks the eggs open.

"Slightly burnt or not at all?" I ask him.

"Oh I know how to cook an egg" he replies.

"Not the eggs. I meant the toast stupid" I blurt out. I cover my mouth to show my mistake.

David laughs.

"So we're that close now huh" he says.

"I'm sorry." I say.

"No, it's fine. I like that you feel comfortable around me now" he arrogantly smiles.

"I've always felt comfortable around you" I say again without thinking.

He stops scrambling the eggs and looks at me. Surprised.

"Really?" He asks me.

I shrug at him and ask myself. Did I really? Now that I think of it, I was never awkward or shy around him.