S1 EP6 - TALK ME DOWN

"YOU GOOD BRO? YOU GOOD? I raise my voice and dare him to come near me.

"YOU WANT A BEAT DOWN?" Russell shouts back at me. He puts his things down and starts walking to me.

We're at the parking lot behind a mall. It was 7 in the evening and we just finished getting party favors. In the corner of my eye, I see David drop our bags into Joseph's car and stand beside me.

Russell gets infront me and fear takes over my body. He's a lot taller and bigger than me. I freeze in shock but I hold my ground. He pushes my chest. I stumble and recover but David holds me back.

"Don't do this" he tells Russell.

"Who the fuck are you?" Russell blurts.

"This is not the way brother" David says.

"You should tell that son of bii..."

David goes up to Russell, grabs his collar and closes his fist. He looks at Russell face to face and snarls.

"WHAT? HUH? WHAT?

Russell's face whitens and David lets go of him. I look at Russell. He adjusts his collar and turns to leave. David pulls my arm and walks me to the car. He opens the front passenger door and pushes me inside. I sit and try to recover from the shock. David gets on the other side and fumes. He rummages inside my bag and takes my pack of cigarettes. He takes one and offers me the pack.

I fish one out and see his face is red.

"Are you okay?" I ask him.

He lights and sips.

"I should be asking you that" He says as he exhales.
"Who is he, anyway?" He asks.

"Russell. Used to be a regular at Joseph's club. His tab started piling and he didn't want to pay. Joseph tried to talk to him but Russell hit him with a glass" I explain.

"He wouldn't leave so the bouncers had to kick him out. He threw a bag of garbage in front of the club the next morning" I finish.

"That motherfucker" David exclaims. He throws his cigarette out of the window and turn the car on.

"Don't drive yet" I warn.

"I'm good" He replies.

We get to Joseph's house and unpack. I'm still in silent shock of what happened. I wasn't shocked about Russell. I knew he would've reacted that way.  He would have beaten the shit out of me if David wasn't there. I was shocked because of David. How he reacted so fast and defended me without question. His fist on Russell's collar flashes on my mind.

"Are we all set?" Jomo asks me.

"Yeah all good" I reply.

We were packing miniature drinks for a surprise event at the club tonight. We packed it ourselves as Joseph's family and staff had gone to the country for the weekend. Joseph had been planned this last minute and wanted us to make sure everything was perfect. This was a reward for his loyal patrons.

"Let's go. Everyone's in the car" Jomo tells me.

We drive and get to the club at around 9. We set the bar up and re arrange the lay out. We check party favors on each table and Joseph gathers us.

"I got a room on the hotel across the street. If anyone wants to freshen up, do it now. We open doors in an hour" He tells us.

He gives David the key and we all troop across the street. We get into the room and tell the girls to go first.

I decide not to change as I left my bag at Joseph's house. David looks at me and seemed to read my mind.

"I brought extra. You can wear mine" He tells me and passes me a striped blue long sleeve and khaki pants.