chapter 9

Our deserts came out and I breathed out in relief when it served as a distraction.
“what do you guys think?” I asked. I was genuinely curious since it was clear they didn’t go out much at all.

“I enjoy it, I suppose. I wouldn’t come back unless invited, but it isn’t unsatisfactory. In fact, you seem to have a keen eye on what people like. Vanilla is my favorite out of the big three. Chocolate is too harsh, and strawberry is fine, but nothing beats plain vanilla.” That was something I liked about Mikael, he always explained things to me.

I was never left in the dark about what he wanted, when he wanted it, nothing. He was straightforward.

It almost made me nervous with how I felt, since, if his brother was messed up like that, why wouldn’t he be?

And Mikael had warned me he was different as well, but somehow I still liked being around him. I had begun to look forward to our interaction. He was never demanding, rude, or loud. It made being around him really peaceful in comparison to others.

Caius was fine, but so far, he seemed like the kid brother to your best friend, y’know? I know he saw us differently, but….he just made me feel so weird.

And not in a real comfortable way. I was on edge around him, nervous, and I always felt like I was getting close to him blowing up if I said or did the wrong thing. It made me wonder just why I felt so different with him then Mikael. 

“ezraaaaaaa!” I felt something hit my forehead.

“What?” I snapped.

“you zoned out.” Caius had been the one to throw the spoon at me.

“Oh…yeah. Sorry.” I muttered.  I tensed as I felt Mikael’s prying eyes on me. He wanted to know what I was thinking, obviously. So did Caius.

“what exactly got you so lost in thought, angel?”  I shook my head.

“its nothing. I would rather not talk about it here.”

“but-“

“okay, that’s fine. On the car ride home then?” Caius glared at his brother after being interrupted, but he seemed surprised I agreed with Mikael.

“I just…feel better out of public view, that’s all Caius.” I tapped my fingers nervously on the table, I was happy to be here, but…what were they thinking? Did Caius even want to be here?
Why does he make me so…anxious?

I stiffened when a hand rested on mine. It was Mikael.

“calm down, angel. You’re safe. It’s okay. Do you want to go to the car? We can drive around, or you can come to our house.” Mikael’s voice soothed me slightly.

Not entirely, but slightly. I just nodded in agreement. I would rather go somewhere where I could be alone, with them was fine, but. I was tired of being out and about.

We made it to the car and I sighed in relief when my head hit the back  of the seat. 

“ezra? Speak to me love.” Mikael started the car and we drove off.

“I just feel weird. I dunno.” I twiddled my thumbs and felt my breath catch in my throat painfully.

“more, elaborate angel. Just speak without consideration for us, okay?” I could do that…I think.

“I was just…in there. And then I wasn’t. I was thinking about you and Caius, and me…and how I’m fine around you…mostly…but I feel awful around Caius…Well….not awful…but really anxious and nervous. Like…he doesn’t want to do these things with me…if I piss him off…what would he do? Things like that. You told me you were both….different…but so far, the only abnormal one is Caius, and that puts me on edge too." I paused for a breath.