Kaladin and Ari Sparring

A/N; Hey guys, it's been a while. I was on holiday then it took me a while to perfect this chapter. This is a narrative chapter written in Kaladin's POV (can you tell he's my current obsession?) We'll be moving away from his character soon and dipping into some other's. 

Thank you for all your support! I really appreciate it.

- Enjoy 

SR <3

________________________________________________________________________________

The sun was blazing down on us, setting my bare skin on fire. A gentle breeze stirred around us brought by the swinging and clashing of our swords.

Across. Up. Down.

Sweat was dripping down my back, coating my dark hair gluing it to my forehead as his attacks came in quick succession. He was relentless, the wind carrying him faster and farther than I thought was possible. I yielded a stepped, getting dangerously close to that line that separated us from the spectating crowd.

Across. Up. Down.

Jab. Block. Jab.

I was dimly aware that we had attracted a crowd – something that happened most days. I had picked up Ari's training quickly. Within in a month, I was able to match his pace, and I was winning most fights with my fellow classmates. Ever since, whenever I stepped into The Ring, coins were discreetly exchanged.

Across. Up. Down.

Jab. Block. Jab.

Today though, the crowd seemed larger than usual.

My muscles screamed for relief. My lungs burned. But I couldn't – wouldn't – stop. He struck with a speed and force that typically overwhelmed, and more often than not, crippled his opponents. It was his trademark move. Most couldn't withstand it. In the six years I have spent training on The Field I have never seen Ari bested.

Today, I would be the first. I wouldn't fall for his tricks this time.

Across.

Just as he swung his sword upward, he left his face unprotected. It was instinct; I parried out to the left using the momentum to smack him my elbow across his face. He yelped as it connected with his jaw, and stumbled back a step. He recovered far too quickly. Quicker than I did, and with renewed effort he came at me again.

Left side. Right. High. Low.

I blocked each of his blow, each one sending ripples of pain through my muscles. We had traded places. I was facing the crowd. Today, the crowd seemed larger than usual. Suddenly, The Field seemed so much more confined. Standing front and center of the gathered crowd was a young warrior who had joined us a few weeks ago, and on his first day, he shyly approached me to ask for directions looking all kinds of lost. Seeing him standing there with two other new recruits, all three of them watching me was unsettling, filling me with unease.