Chapter 1

I love rain. I have always loved rain. To many people it may seem sad or depressing, not for me. Rain is like the earth is becoming itself again; washing away all the ruin and becoming new.

I watch the rain fall down outside the window in my Phycology class. I haven't been listening to a thing my professor has been saying; all I know is that ten more minutes and I'm done with classes for today. It's my freshman year of college and I already hate it.

I hear the whispers of the fellow students around me. I wonder "why am I here?" My parents are forcing me to attend this overly priced college so I can "make a life for myself" and "earn a living." I'm attending a university my parents picked for me. I'm from Blue Ridge, Georgia, so I have been stuck in Georgia forever.
Don't get me wrong I love Georgia but I feel stuck. Well, to be honest this sucks. I hate always living the life my parents want. I was salutatorian of my class and never had a social life. I was too busy studying or reading to have any friends. I was never the girl to have relationships either. I'm not the prettiest girl. I have short thick legs, short medium torso, pale white skin, and long brown wavy hair with green eyes. I guess you could say guys don't really come asking me for my number. I've never really cared though because I'm afraid of being in love anyways. I love reading about it but experiencing it frightens me.

There was this one guy I admired when I was in high school though...His name was Adam Swanston. He was so smart and so kind to everyone. He was the definition of perfect. Adam looked like someone you would read about in stories. He was tall, tan, star student and athlete, and gracious to everyone he met. We talked once when he accidentally ran into me in the hallway.

"Oh my gosh, i'm so sorry!" Adam was so sincere.

"Oh no, it's fine! Really!" I went down to pick up my stuff and he went down at the same time. We butted heads on the way up.

"Sorry, again..." Adam laughed. His laugh made my heart skip a beat. Before I could reply his friends were yelling at him to hurry up.

He was walking down the hallway when he yelled at me," Oh I never got your name?"

"Claire. Claire Linsey."

"Well, I hope I see you again soon, Claire." Then he went down the hall and that was the last time I talked to him. I wonder where he is now? My mind wondered off into countless possibilities.
*************

"Hey, Claire... Claire! Class is over," My professor, Mr. Bryant, yelled at me. I looked around and noticed everyone was gone. I guess I got caught up in my thoughts again.

I gathered my things and made my way to meet my only friend on campus ,Margot, for lunch at Walter's. Walter's is a rundown seafood restaurant where all the students eat on campus. The food isn't great but who can complain when they're so cheap.

Margot is so beautiful. Margot can be a really self centered sometimes, but Margot is my roommate as well as my best friend. She is my actual first true friend. Margot is so outgoing and loved by everyone, unlike me.

I saw her as I walked into Walter's. She was sitting at one of the booths reading some cheesy romance novel she picked up at a yard sale. Looking at her I could see why all the guys like her: she's gorgeous with her long thick black hair, her slim tan body, and her cute nerdy glasses. I approached her at the table and she automatically put her book down.
"Where have you been?" Margot exclaimed.
" Sorry. I drifted off in class again..."I said timidly. She knows How I am in class.
"You and your day dreams!"
" I can't help it! I just want to get away from here sometimes... You know? Like just drive off and never come back to what your parents are expecting of you..." I was mainly talking to myself when Margot snaps me out of it.

She just stared at me and then said, "Well, i'm starving!"

After we ate we walked back to our dorm together. When I got back my parents called me for the one-hundredth time today. We fought again about my future and school. After I hung up I did my school work then went to bed and prayed that I would finally enjoy life here like Margot did.