Chapter 1

*POV: Adrian*

It was a crisp evening in August, the kind where the city lights seem to whisper secrets to the night. I was leaning against the cold brick wall of our school's abandoned gymnasium, waiting for the usual suspects to show up. It was the perfect hideout for the misfits of our high school-a place where rebellion and laughter mingled like smoke from the corner bar.

"Adrian!" Ang boses ni Liza ay parang hangin sa dilim. "Nandito na ba si Marco?"

I looked up and saw Liza, with her rebellious streak as bright as her red hair, striding confidently towards me. Behind her was Marco, ever the class clown with a grin that could melt any tension.

"Here I am, ready to be the life of the party," Marco said, his voice filled with mock bravado. "Or at least, that's what I'm telling myself."

"Baka maunahan ka ni Liza sa pagiging buhay ng party, Marco," I joked. "Alam mo naman, kilala siya sa pag-abot ng mga tao sa stress level."

"Ang kulit mo talaga, Adrian," Liza retorted, rolling her eyes but smiling nonetheless. "Kung hindi ka pa magpapaalam sa lahat, baka mag-aaway na tayo dito."

As we waited for the rest of the gang, I couldn't shake off the feeling that tonight was different. The night air seemed charged with something more than just the usual buzz of adolescent mischief. Maybe it was just the excitement of the annual end-of-summer party, but something gnawed at the edge of my consciousness.

Suddenly, the sound of footsteps interrupted my thoughts. "Sorry I'm late," said Julia, our resident genius and the only one who could make academic debates sound thrilling. "I got caught up in... other matters."

"Other matters?" I teased. "Don't tell me you were busy saving the world from academic mediocrity."

"Ha-ha, very funny," Julia said with a wry smile. "Actually, I was just finishing up a project. You know me, always last-minute."

As the rest of the group trickled in, the atmosphere grew electric with anticipation. We moved through the night like shadows, slipping into the abandoned gym where the air was thick with the scent of old leather and nostalgia. The gym was our sanctuary, our stage for the nightly dramas that unfolded.

"Anong plano natin tonight?" asked Marco, adjusting the speaker that was playing our favorite mix of indie and classic rock. "May mga bagong pasabog ba?"

"I heard there's something big coming up," Liza said, her eyes gleaming with excitement. "Something we're not supposed to know about."

"Sounds like trouble," Julia replied, her voice tinged with caution. "But you know us-we're always up for a bit of danger."

We laughed, the sound echoing off the walls, but I couldn't ignore the knot in my stomach. My mind wandered to the rumors circulating about our school's elite-the ones who seemed to have their own rules, their own universe.

As the night wore on, the laughter and music became a blur, overshadowed by a growing unease. Then, a figure appeared at the edge of the dimly lit gym-someone we didn't recognize. He was cloaked in shadows, his face hidden beneath the brim of a hat.

"Who's that?" I asked, my voice barely above a whisper.

"I don't know," Liza said, her playful demeanor vanishing. "But he's not one of us."

The stranger stepped into the light, revealing a face that seemed oddly familiar. It was like staring into a mirror that reflected a version of myself I'd never seen before. He didn't say a word, but the intensity in his eyes spoke volumes.

"Alam mo ba kung sino siya?" Julia asked, her curiosity evident.

Before we could react, the stranger pulled out a small, crumpled piece of paper and tossed it at me. "This is for you," he said, his voice low and urgent. "Keep it safe. It's a matter of life and death."