---Prologue---

Ryder loves ghosts. 

He constantly indulges in conspiracy theories surrounding sightings. 

He attempts to break into abandoned buildings rumoured to be haunted just in an attempt to see one before the Hunters vaporise it. 

It's his dream to see, to talk to one of these dangerously elusive creatures that the Citadel talked about in hushed tones and behind closed doors. 

He hopes that one day, he'll get lucky.

Hunter is terrified of ghosts. 

Each word of warning from the Citadel, each message to stay indoors if a ghost was sighted around his town sends chills down his spine. 

He steers clear of buildings with dark windows, refuses to go out after the sun goes down, as that then is when they are at their alleged strongest. 

He is grateful for each day he spends without hearing of a sighting. 

He prays he never crosses paths with one.

Cosmo doesn't believe in ghosts. 

He listens to the news daily, to reporters recounting sightings and disasters caused by them, and does nothing more than roll his eyes and switch channels. 

Each howl that reaches his ears out of nowhere he blames on the whisper of the wind. 

Each creak of the floorboards in an otherwise empty room he pins on their age. 

Cosmo doesn't believe what the Citadel tells the population 

He can't be afraid of something which doesn't exist.

Florence is intrigued by ghosts. 

Every time a ghost is mentioned in the news by a trembling witness, gone half mad with sheer shock, she often wonders how the ghost got there. 

How did it manifest? 

Can they really walk through walls? 

How did they die? 

She longs to find out the answers to her queries, but if she knows that if she searched for one, they wouldn't show themselves. 

She is waiting on a chance that one day; one will appear for her.

Heather isn'tafraid of ghosts. 

She doesn't flinch when she hears a shriek in the middle of thenight down the street. 

She doesn't bat an eye whenshe sees a face in a window that isn't her own. 

She stares back, challenging,as if daring the ghosts to tear her mind apart. 

Shehas seen ghosts before, and they don't instil the fearwhich the Citadel manipulates the population into feeling.

Five children.

One myth.

One mistake.

Five lives – forever changed.