5: Visitors

I spend the rest of the morning writing notes in a notebook. I was able to buy this journal with Sir Ming when we went shopping for my new sandals. Whether it's things I remember about the 'When the Lanterns Rise' novel or just plain poetry, it doesn't matter. I write whatever comes to mind. This is the first time I've actually felt at peace. I try to appear calm because I have to, when I'm a nervous wreck inside. I miss being able to be as childish as I wanted. People hated me, but I was free. Here, I need to appear calm and resolute if I want to look like a potential Empress.

Chen naps peacefully in her cat form, the sunlight making her fur appear red again. I smile at Chen's silence before turning back to my notebook. My knees are curled towards my chest and my notebook rests on my knees for easy access.

I'm nervous. I don't know what's going to happen now. From what I heard from the people who passed by my open window, the prince was injured. He most likely got in a fight with Qing or something. Daiyu's body isn't injured, but it wasn't a main plot point so things in the plot shouldn't change much. But I still don't know what to expect, though. I'm deep in thought when I realize something.

Mei's probably still going to continue to leech onto Jun De. I exhale in exhaustion, and rest my forehead on the notebook. Jun De can fall in love with Mei Guan for all I care but I still need to become the Empress. If I was really lucky, I could convince, more like manipulate, Mei into convincing Jun De to run away from Erile's Village with her. It's either that or I try to marry Jun De, but I recall Jun De despising Daiyu in the book. But he treats me differently here, perhaps I can go as far to say that he considers me as a friend. I shake my head dismissively. That's not the point. My main goal is to become an Empress, not make friends. As long as they're not in the capital of Kingwen, I have an easier chance of fulfilling my main goal.

Okay, that's what I'm going to do. I'll try to convince Mei, maybe even Jun De, to get out of here so I can take their place as a potential ruler. I nod once, once is enough.

I look to do the sliding door when I hear a knock. "Yes? Come in." It should be 7 am by now, so most likely my parents are awake.

"Yu?" My mom says, poking her head in. She calls me by my nickname.

"Mmm?" I stare at my notebook, fiddling with my fountain pen. Thank god this is a time when people were over quills.

"Your father wants to see you." My mom smiles cheerfully. I stare back blankly at her, before forcing a nervous smile. "When you're ready, dear." She leaves. Right. Daiyu got along well with her father, which is what made me care for Daiyu even more. I loved my father, he was the best. So I would try to get along with Lord Jin, for my sake.

Chen keeps one eye open when I start to get up. I stand in front of the vanity and try to comb my black hair so I look presentable. I'll let it run free for now. I stare at my reflection once more before heading out the door. Lord Jin is just as intelligent as Daiyu, that's how he started a successful paper making business. It shouldn't be too hard to talk smart with him. Assuming that's what he wants. Him and Daiyu did that often.

When I step into the backyard, I immediately notice the rock garden. A strange and quite large thing to have in our yard but I don't mention it. Not far from the garden, Lord Jin is lounging casually near a round, patio table. He's reading a book, a book with an engraved title regarding war strategy. Ah, that's right. My brother's a general, he should be visiting soon, returning from war, I recall. My father looks up from the navy covered book, eyeing me with an intrigued gaze but not necessarily an excited one.

"Take a seat," Is all he says as I choose the wooden chair across from him. "How have you been adjusting?"

"Sorry?" I ask, surprised. I don't seem to recall there being any changes recently. My right hand is still frozen in the moment from when they were reaching for a teacup. I was about to drink the tea before Father asked the interesting question.