𝙲𝙷𝙰𝙿𝚃𝙴𝚁 𝚃𝙷𝚁𝙴𝙴

𝙲𝙷𝙰𝙿𝚃𝙴𝚁 𝚃𝙷𝚁𝙴𝙴

( ˢᶜʳᵉʷ ⁱᵗ ᵘᵖ )

Madeline Harrington woke to the faint light of dawn filtering through her curtains, casting long, soft shadows across her room

The cool morning air was a stark contrast to the warmth she was reluctant to leave.

With a resigned sigh, she pushed the covers off and sat up, rubbing the sleep from her eyes.

Her room was a small, familiar mess—clothes draped over a chair, books piled haphazardly on the desk, posters peeling slightly at the edges.

It was a space she knew well but one that often felt stifling and oppressive.

She dragged herself to the bathroom, the cold tiles sending a shiver up her spine.

The splash of cold water on her face did little to fully wake her, but it helped.

Staring at her reflection, she saw the same tired eyes staring back—sharp blue but dulled by sleepless nights and unresolved troubles.

Her brown hair was a tangled mess, and she pulled it back into a loose ponytail, not bothering to style it further.

Quickly dressing in her usual jeans and a plain t-shirt, Madeline shrugged on her well-worn leather jacket and headed downstairs.

The house was eerily quiet, as it often was in the mornings.

Her parents were already gone, their busy lives leaving little room for her.

She grabbed a piece of toast from the kitchen and ate it on the go as she slung her backpack over her shoulder.

The silence of the house was almost oppressive, a stark reminder of her loneliness.

Outside, the crisp morning air hit her as she stepped onto the driveway.

The street was just beginning to wake up—car engines starting, distant chatter, and the faint rustle of leaves in the breeze.

The familiar routine of Hawkins was playing out as usual, but today it felt oddly off.

She stopped short when she saw Steve's car in the driveway.

He was sitting in the driver's seat, tapping impatiently on the steering wheel, his face a mix of annoyance and concern.

Madeline hesitated, unsure of how to react.

Steve was usually distant and unapproachable, not someone who offered rides.

"Are you just gonna stand there, or are you getting in?" Steve called out, his tone laced with impatience.

Madeline blinked, startled from her thoughts. "Uh, yeah. Sorry," she muttered, walking over to the car.