Season 2 | Chapter 4 | New Friends

Jacob, holding a squirrel skewer over the open fire, watched Cadmus filet his squirrel and prepare it with the stick. He removed the intestines from the rodent and threw them into the soil. Cadmus jammed the stick through the carcass of the squirrel and held it over the fire.

"So," Cadmus began. "A mutant researcher?" Jacob nodded and handed a chunk of the squirrel to his lurker mutant who scarfed it down in a single gulp. It hunched over him like a goblin and waited for more treats. Cadmus wanted to laugh but decided against it as he watched the flesh cook in front of him. "What does that entail?" "Well, I research mutants." Cadmus rolled his eyes.

Jacob laughed softly. "To further the explanation, I've been doing fieldwork for the past several years on mutant species. I've made it as far north as Greenland and as far south as Panama. Plenty of beautiful creatures to discover. Now, I'm just looking for a place to establish my work." Cadmus nodded slowly, absorbing the information he was hearing. Jacob took a bite out of his food and spat out a small bone. "I was on my way to an apparent city with a reputation for hospitality called 'The Province of Stonewall' but after hearing a shit ton of gunfire about a week ago coming from inside, I decided against it." Cadmus winced hearing that, knowing exactly what went on there.

"What about you, Mr. Khan? What do you do?" Jacob questioned. Cadmus exhaled a drawn-out sigh, Jacob looking up at him with intrigue and confusion. "It's a long story, Jacob. A story that would probably make you hate me." Jacob smirked, chewing his food. "Try me, flyboy," Jacob said, glancing behind Cadmus at the broken helicopter. Cadmus nodded once and took his food out of the fire.

"I just got kicked out of my country by my former advisor. He staged a coup and took me out of my position and I barely escaped with my life," Cadmus replied. Jacob blinked a few times and chewed slower with each second that went by. Jacob gestured towards the helicopter and then pointed to Cadmus. "Your country? As in a country you ruled?" Cadmus sighed. "Yes, Jacob. A country that I ruled." "That explains why you're dressed like a Mexican war general." Cadmus looked down at his golden badge and smiled softly. Jacob handed the rest of the meat over to his mutant who, once again, inhaled it without chewing at all.

Jacob stood up and began walking around the area, Cadmus remaining where he was. "And the part about me hating you because of that?" "I was a ruthless Emperor, Jacob. I have hundreds of kills under my belt and they were all for the advancement of my horrible nation. Thousands more if you could communities I've had my military clear out for expansive purposes."

Cadmus looked up at the man, expecting to see him angry and disgusted. However, Jacob had a respective grin on his face, his beard glowing in the fire. "That sounds sick, Cad-Man." Cadmus chuckled hearing the nickname and shrugged slightly, his mood changing back to sullen and sulking. Jacob pounded his fists together. "What're you gonna do now that you're a nobody?" Cadmus looked up at him weirdly. "I don't, uh, well," he stammered. Jacob could see the defeated look on the man's face. "I'm going to try making it to Westerland. I have to warn them about what's coming."

Jacob put his finger up. "Westerland? I think I've heard of the place. Where is it?" he asked. Cadmus took another few bites of the burnt flesh, chewing and swallowing it regrettably. He coughed up phlegm and spat it out. "Arizona. Their capital city is Kingman and I need to get there to warn them about my country." Jacob stopped in place and crossed his arms. "My former advisor, Diego, took over my spot and he's trying to expand Gahenna across the continent. Westerland will be the first country they target."

Jacob walked over to Cadmus. "Well, let's get to Kingman." Cadmus, confused, looked up at him and watched Jacob hold out his hand. Cadmus reluctantly grabbed it and Jacob struggled to pull the giant to his feet. "To Kingman? How? My helicopter is busted." Jacob walked over to the fire and began stomping it out with dirt and his boots. The lurker waddled beside Jacob and he motioned for Cadmus to follow him through the woods. Without anywhere else to go, Cadmus followed.