The escape

I wake up to screaming, multiple voices shouting over each other. For a moment, I'm confused, but then I remember what happened. The deafening cries and Caiden. I still don't know what he is—it seems like he could be a vampire, but there was no blood, only this thing with energy. They keep mentioning energy, like life energy? Like my soul? After half an hour of trying to figure out what he could be, I decide to do some exercises to take my mind of their screams. I use the floor, the chair, the closet, and pull myself up on the bed, but the screaming starts to drive me crazy. "Stop that fucking screaming!" I shout, but it doesn't help. They keep going.

I try to distract myself by studying the painting at the wall, but the screaming makes it impossible to enjoy it. I press my pillow against my ears, but the sound doesn't diminish. I throw it against the wall. Am I hallucinating? Is this not really happening? I look out the window at the green grass and see myself running away. I see Caiden pushing me to the ground, I hear Ragnar breaking my neck like he did to the other girl. Th sound echoes against the walls in my mind. The hours drag by, and the screaming gets louder. Will they never stop? What kind of human being screams that long? I try to drown out the noise by singing songs, but it doesn't work. The sun that was shining through my window disappears, replaced by a black sky filled with stars. Not like at home, where there were only a few; here, the entire sky is covered. I stare at the stars, and eventually, I fall asleep.

When I wake up, my head is pounding, and my stomach is growling. Since there's still no light coming through the window, I assume it's still night. And then I hear it, or rather I don't hear it. Silence, or almost. There's only some faint murmuring and footsteps in the hallway. Cautiously, I turn on the lamp and see that the door is wide open. Through the opening, I see people carefully walking down the hall. I move closer to find out what's going on. A girl notices me, someone from the dinner table earlier. "They're all gone, and our doors are open. We're looking for an exit, come on!" She grabs my arm and tries to pull me along, but I shake her off. "Aren't you coming?" she asks, surprised. "No, sorry." She doesn't waste any time and walks off. I don't understand how someone can be so foolish. They made it clear that you can't break their rules, and now they're gone, and the doors are open? Yeah, right, I don't buy it. But maybe this is my last chance to escape. I push the thought away, leave my door slightly ajar and get back into the bed. It's hard to fall asleep, but when I finally do, I don't wake up until it's light again. The first thing I do is look at the door and see that it's still open. 

Did I make the wrong decision?