28

WE'RE NOT BROKEN, JUST BENT
AND WE CAN LEARN TO LOVE AGAIN

Just Give Me A Reason - P!nk

I was chopping vegetables for dinner, the rhythmic sound of the knife on the cutting board filling the cozy kitchen. The warm, savory aroma wafted through the room, making me feel more relaxed than I had in a long time. The sun was setting, casting a golden glow through the window, turning everything a soft, honeyed hue.

Five had gone out earlier, saying he was going to see if he could bring back something to add to dinner. I half-expected him to return with some wild game or at least some berries. So when I heard the door creak open, I turned, ready to greet him with a teasing comment.

"Hey," I smiled as he walked in. Things had been better between us lately, more comfortable, and it was nice.

"Hey, you." He returned the smile, something playful dancing in his eyes. "Dinner smells edible, and amazing, but I've got something for you."

"Oh? Better than my vegetable stew? I'm intrigued. Elaborate."

"Follow me," he said with a smirk, the kind that always piqued my curiosity.

I wiped my hands on a towel and followed him out onto the porch, where he settled into one of the old rocking chairs. He patted the chair next to him, and I sat down, glancing at him with a raised eyebrow.

"Close your eyes and put out your hands," he instructed, his voice carrying a mix of excitement and tenderness.

I gave him a skeptical look. "This isn't one of those weird CIA surprises, is it?"

He chuckled, shaking his head. "No weird surprises, I promise. Just trust me."

With a sigh, I closed my eyes and held out my hands, my curiosity getting the better of me. "Kinky," I joked, unable to resist, and I heard him laugh softly.

A moment later, I felt something soft being placed in my hands, wrapped in paper. It was light but familiar, and I frowned slightly as I tried to place the feeling.

"Okay, open your eyes," he said, and I did, looking down at the package in my hands.

Carefully, I unwrapped the paper, revealing my old leather jacket—the one that had torn at the seam a few months back. The tear had been too much for me to fix, and I'd been heartbroken, thinking it was ruined for good. But here it was, the seam perfectly repaired, as if it had never been damaged.

I looked up at Five, my eyes wide with surprise and emotion. "Five, you... you fixed it?"

He nodded, a soft smile on his face. "I know how much it meant to you. Figured it was the least I could do."

I ran my fingers over the seam, marveling at how well it had been repaired. "I thought it was ruined for good... I was so upset when it ripped."

"I remember," he said, his voice a bit quieter now. "And I figured, after everything, you deserved to have something that made you happy."

I looked at him, my heart swelling with emotion. It wasn't just about the jacket—it was about the fact that he had remembered, that he had taken the time to fix something important to me. It was a gesture that spoke volumes about how much he cared, even if he didn't always show it.

"Thank you," I whispered, my voice thick with gratitude. "You have no idea how much this means to me."

He reached out, brushing a strand of hair behind my ear. "I think I do."