30

I THINK I'M TOO COOL TO KNOW YA
YOU SAY I'M LIKE THE ICE, YOU FREEZE

Brooklyn Baby - Lana Del Rey

I sprinted toward the diner, my heart pounding so hard I could practically hear it in my ears. The neon "Closed" sign was flickering like it was trying to decide whether to give up entirely or just keep on with its half-hearted attempt at staying relevant. Normally, that sign would've been like a big, blinking "Do Not Disturb" button, but tonight, I was on a mission. I knew Amy would still be inside, probably winding down in her typical fashion.

I pushed open the door, the little bell above it giving a weak jingle, like even it was exhausted. I didn't waste a second, heading straight for our joint office in the back. The usual smell of coffee and diner grease clung to the air, a scent so familiar it felt like a weird kind of comfort. It was the smell of late-night gossip sessions, debates over which pie was the best, and plans that never quite made it past the planning stage.

When I burst into the office, there she was—Amy, in all her glory, lounging in her chair like a queen who'd just conquered the kingdom of I-Don't-Give-a-Damn. She had a joint balanced between her fingers, the tip glowing softly in the dim light of the desk lamp. The shadows it cast made the room look like some kind of noir film set, with Amy as the sarcastic detective who's seen it all.

Amy glanced up, her eyes widening as she took in my disheveled appearance. Before she could even get out a snarky remark, the dam I'd been holding back broke. I threw myself at her, wrapping my arms around her in a hug that was probably a little too intense, but at that moment, I couldn't help it. The joint wobbled dangerously between her fingers, but she managed to keep her grip, even as she returned the hug with one arm.

"I thought I'd never see you again," I choked out, my voice trembling as tears started to spill down my cheeks. I held on to her like she was the only thing keeping me tethered to reality, which, given my recent adventures, she probably was.

Amy froze for a split second, her body going stiff like I'd just told her there was a flash sale on her favorite brand of coffee. "Okay, this is officially terrifying," she muttered, her tone half-joking but fully confused. "You never cry. Like, ever. What is happening?" She awkwardly patted my back, the joint still precariously dangling from her other hand, as if she couldn't decide whether to comfort me or save the joint from an untimely demise.

I could feel her bafflement, but I didn't care. I just buried my face deeper into her shoulder, letting the tears flow freely. 

"Just shut up," I managed to smile through my tears, my words muffled against her shoulder. I felt her sigh, and then she wrapped both arms around me, the joint now forgotten, its smoky trail curling lazily into the air.

"Sure, yeah, okay, I'll just shut up," Amy replied, her voice softening as she held me a little tighter. "You know, you're totally getting ash on my shirt, but I'm gonna let that slide because you look like you need this more than I need clean laundry."

I couldn't help but laugh a little through the tears, the sound shaky but real. Amy always had a way of making everything feel a little less like the world was ending and more like it was just another Tuesday with extra drama.

She pulled back slightly, her brow furrowing as she looked me over. "What even happened?" she asked, her tone laced with both concern and curiosity.

I let out a shaky breath and wiped at my face, trying to get a grip on my emotions. "It's... complicated," I began, but before I could go any further, Amy's eyes widened as she took in the full extent of my disheveled state.

"Jesus, you look horrible!" she exclaimed, the bluntness of her words making me snort despite myself.

"Bitch, I just spent seven years in a different timeline," I shot back, my voice dripping with mock indignation, though the truth of it weighed heavily on me.