Shit Beer! Shit Music!

(play when * this comes up)

"You ready?" Lydia asked through the speaker. I heard a shuffle and then the call switched to FaceTime. I accepted and stood it up against a stack of toilet roll in my bathroom.

"Nearly," I replied.

"Okay, how's this?" She asked, giving me a twirl. Lydia was so beautiful- it was no surprise the attention she got off every man in the room. I looked at her and then myself; she wore a tight red dress that hit mid thigh, whereas I was wearing jeans and a fluffy off-shoulder jumper.

"You look beautiful, Lyd." I said, truthfully, smiling at her appearance.

She grabbed her phone and squinted at my appearance, trying to muster up the least offensive adjective, "You look... like yourself?"

"Thank you."

I appreciated her compliment. That was exactly what I was trying to achieve, to look like myself.

Lydia shot her head around at a sudden noise, "Liams here, Jenny. Don't be late,"

"I won't. Bye,"

I would probably be late.

I grabbed my purse, sending Stan a quick message as I started up my car. I wasn't exactly nervous, It was only Lydia's boyfriend after all, but I found it hard conversing with new people. Especially men. Chatting away wasn't my forte, like it was Lydia's. Nor was it Stans, but he was overly sarcastic and had that to make up for it.

I smiled at the song on the radio, tapping away at my wheel as I drove down the busy London streets. Luckily, the pub of Lydia's choice hadn't been central so as I got further to our destination, the streets became more deserted.

My phone pinged.

Stan just found out they're performing here tonight. how exciting 🙄 let's hope they're good or i'm walking out.

I chuckled to myself. Stan always had a way with words. I wondered what kind of music they performed, and if they were actually good or a classic pub tribute.

I typed something back briefly as I drove, very dangerous on my part but luckily the street was empty.

Me Good god. Are you there yet?

My phone vibrated, and I quickly connected it to my bluetooth system and answered. It was Stan calling- probably about to spew out a bunch of complaints.

"No, I'm not here yet," Stan sighed, "My fucking taxi cancelled on me. You know, they do this one more time and I'm complaining,"

Yep, I was right.

"Hello to you too, Stanley," I said, turning down the volume.

"Oh, yeah, hi,"

"I could've given you a lift?" I offered as I checked my blind spot and moved into the next lane over, "I'm near your house, to be honest,"

I was no where near Stan's house, but he seemed frustrated.

"You're driving?" He asked, "What happened to getting plastered?"