Chapter 1

"It is not what we think or feel that makes us who we are. It is what we do. Or fail to do." -Jane Austin, 'Sense and Sensibility'

The warm light of the sunset filtered through the curtains of the room, enveloping everything in a soft golden embrace. '___' was curled up on the sofa, her knees pulled to her chest, her gaze lost. Silent tears streamed down her delicate face, her heart heavy with  disappointment and frustration.

The door opened slowly and her mother entered, her movements fluid and gentle.
She sat down next to the little girl, her hand lightly touching her hair in a soothing way, making her relax immediately.
«Honey, what's wrong?» she asked in a warm, calming voice. The little girl didn't answer and moved her head in another direction avoiding the mother's gaze.

«Why are you always so kind to me, mother?»

The woman stopped her movements. Her eyes widened, the words died in her mouth, blood pumped through her veins causing her to sweat involuntarily.

«Why do you ask that, love? You're my daughter, how else would I treat you silly?» she said laughing a little, the little girl remained silent when she finally opened her mouth.

«You know that I look just like him, everything about me reminds you of him, why don't you admit it?» she said in a whisper before continuing, «I know every time you see me you see his face, I know how you feel because every time I see myself in the mirror I feel that way too»

The woman felt exposed, how did she know all these things? Why? why an 8 year old girl could notice all these things but not herself?
Trembling breaths came from the woman's mouth as she was stuck in a trance, destabilizing her. When she came to her senses her daughter was staring at her, with that icy gaze, the same as her father's.

No, no, no, she's not like her father, she's her child. How could a mother be afraid of her own daughter? What kind of mother is she?
«No» the woman said firmly, leaving the little girl perplexed. «I won't let that happen, there is no way!» she raised her voice.

Some tears threatened to form while shaking her head frantically, «you're not like him, you may have his features but you're not even close to be like him, remember this '___'»she said as she took her daughter's face, gently drying the tears that were running down her face.

For the first time the little girl felt understood, reassured even. Her mother was the only one that saw her as she was, a kid, not her father.

Isabela. That was her mother's name, that name that just by hearing it her heart melted and it felt like being wrapped in a warm blanket. Her mother hugged her tightly as if she was afraid that at any moment she would no longer be there, and maybe, that was true.

the little girl burst into tears as soon as her mother hugged her, finally letting go, letting go of the bruises she had on her body from too much training, letting her finally be a child of her own age and not the shadow of her father.
___________________________________________

«mom?»

«yes my flower?»

«when i grow up i wanna be just like you» said the little girl with a smile

Isabela didn't expect this phrase from her daughter so laughing sweetly she asked
«but didn't you want to become a professional volleyball player?»

«of course! but first of all I would like to be like you mom, you are the person I admire most in the world, you are the strongest person I know!» '___' said with determination as she snuggled into her mother's lap, enjoying her signature cherry scent.

«'___'...»she said in a small voice

«mh?»the daughter uttered, not understanding why her mother was crying, «Mom, are you sick? Do you need something?»

«no, it's ok sweetie, i just feel really happy right now» Isabela said while hugging her child, the little girl smiled and the woman finally noticed something.

her smile was the same as hers.
___________________________________________

'___' has always had a passion for books and writing, especially for romance books, but she would never admit it.
She was fascinated by the idea of love, how it worked, how it made people react in stupid ways, but also how it could hurt them.

So, one day, out of curiosity, she asked her mother «have you ever been in love mom? what does love feel like?» she said as she held Pride and Prejudice in her hand, Her mother was taken by surprise but knew that sooner or later the time would come.

«of course» she said calmly, approaching his children and taking her in her arms.
«love is a very strange beast»she started «It can happen suddenly, when you least expect it. It's different for every person, but let me tell you one thing '___'» she said as she gently stroked her daughter's hair.

«many boys will bring you flowers..., but someday you'll meet a boy. Who will learn your favorite flower, your favorite song, your favorite sweet...and even if he's too poor to give you any of them, it won't matter because he would've taken the time to know you, as no one else does... only that boy earns your heart» Isabela stated with a warm smile and slightly pink cheeks.

This was the first time '___' saw her mother talk so passionately about something.

«but mom, how do i know he's the one?» the little girl worried.

«your mind maybe won't know, but your heart and body will, my precious flower» she finished while nuzzling her face to her baby.

a mother and her daughter, two figures so different but ultimately identical. in every universe, whether real or not, they are destined to be separated, even in great books told to little ones, who do nothing but cry at the end of the story. But who doesn't do that after all?

A mother would give everything for her daughter, right?

how selfish of the fruit to ripe when the flower is wilting.

___________________________________________

Author's Note: and this is the first chapter yall! hope you like it, a little short but it's to give a little context to the story. I don't know when I'm going to publish the 2 chapter so bear with me🙏🏼😔