chapter 1 : the invitation

Mara Reynolds hadn't been to Blackwood in years. The last time she was here, she was a child, trailing behind her father as he tried to fix up the old family cabin. The town had left a dark mark on her memory—something about the oppressive quiet of the woods, the way the locals stared, and the rumors that spread through the town like wildfire. Now, she was back, but this time it was to bury her brother.

The invitation arrived unexpectedly. Caleb had been missing for months, and the police had given up, assuming he had left of his own accord. Mara, however, had never believed that. Caleb was many things—reckless, impulsive, and prone to chasing the next thrill—but he wouldn’t have just vanished without a word. When the letter came, it confirmed her worst fears.

The letter was from Caleb, but it was dated just a week ago, long after the police said he must have died. It was short, almost cryptic:

"Mara, I'm in Blackwood. Come find me. There's something I need to show you. Don't trust anyone."

The words had burned in her mind, and she had packed her bags that same night. Now, as she drove through the narrow, winding roads that led into Blackwood, Mara couldn't shake the feeling that she was being watched.

The town hadn’t changed much. It still felt like a place forgotten by time, with its weathered houses, creaking porches, and the ever-present fog that seemed to rise from the ground itself. She parked her car in front of the sheriff’s office, hoping to find some answers. As she stepped out, the door swung open, and a tall man with graying hair and a weary expression stepped out.

"Can I help you, miss?" Sheriff Jack Holden asked, his voice gruff.

"I'm looking for my brother, Caleb Reynolds. He’s been missing for months, but I got this letter from him just a week ago," Mara explained, handing him the crumpled paper.

The sheriff's eyes flicked over the letter, his expression unreadable. "Miss Reynolds, I’m sorry to tell you this, but your brother's been dead for a while now. We found his body in the woods about three months back."

Mara felt the ground sway beneath her feet. "That’s impossible. He sent this letter!"

Holden sighed, handing back the letter. "Look, I don't know how you got that, but I know what we found. I’ll take you to where we found him, if it’ll help give you some closure."

But closure was the last thing Mara wanted. She had to know the truth.

-------------------------------------------------