Chapter 6

Chris stood in the attic, leafing through the Book of Shadows, his mind racing with fragments of memories and emotions. The ancient tome felt familiar in his hands, yet, with his exhaustion, the words blurred before his eyes, refusing to yield their secrets. He heard footsteps and turned to see Wyatt entering the room, a concerned expression on his face.

"What are you looking for?" Wyatt asked, trying to sound casual.

"I want to remember," Chris replied, not looking up from the book.

Wyatt frowned. "Chris, forcing these things usually ends badly. Magic like this... it's risky."

Chris nodded, remembering what happened to his mother in the past, when she became an Amazon. "I know. I've seen that first hand."

An awkward silence settled between them. Wyatt shifted uneasily before speaking again. "About your theory... You know, the one about you remembering nightmares..."

Chris sighed, closing the book. "I'm sorry for lashing out earlier."

"It's okay," Wyatt said quickly. "But I am worried. You said you saw me with Eve so many times. Why would you be so scared of that?"

Chris looked away, his mind a whirl of confusion. "I don't know."

Wyatt hesitated, then decided to come clean. "When we were teenagers, I tried to steal your girlfriend."

Chris shot him a look of disbelief, but Wyatt held up his hands in a placating gesture. "It's ancient history. I'm only telling you this because despite all my efforts, Eve never liked me that way. Unlike the other girls, she thought I was boring and annoying and didn't hesitate to tell me."

Chris's eyes softened with a mix of guilt and sorrow. "Then why did I have those nightmares?"

Wyatt shrugged, frustration edging his voice. "I don't know, but Eve has always only had eyes for you."

The weight of his actions toward Eve pressed heavily on Chris's conscience, though he couldn't fully admit it. Trying to sound detached, he said, "Well, maybe now's your chance."

Wyatt's expression turned serious, his gaze piercing. "Don't tempt me," he said quietly. "Because I still have feelings for her." He left the attic, leaving Chris alone with his swirling thoughts and growing headache.

Chris tried to focus, but the pain in his head intensified, and the room began to spin. He stumbled, attempting to orb to his room, but his vision darkened. He hit the floor hard, the world around him fading into oblivion.

As Chris lay unconscious, the memories and emotions he had been fighting to recall surged through him, a torrent of images and feelings that refused to be suppressed. In the depths of his mind, the truth waited, elusive and tantalizing, as Chris struggled to find his way back to the life he was meant to live.

Chris's mind finally drifted to memories long buried. He and Eve were eight years old, standing in the bustling halls of Magic School. Wyatt, the golden boy, was the center of attention as always, adored by teachers and students alike. Chris felt the familiar sting of living in his brother's shadow, but Eve was a beacon of light in his gloom.

Eve nudged him with a mischievous grin. "Look at that peacock all too happy surrounded by his clucking chicks... I wonder if they're gonna lay an egg one day." she imitated a chicken, then laughed. "Let's play a trick on one of the professors," she whispered, her eyes twinkling with excitement.

Chris hesitated, but couldn't resist her infectious energy. She used her powers to make them both invisible. They giggled quietly, watching as the bewildered professor searched for the source of the disruption. For a moment, the weight of his brother's shadow lifted, and he was just a boy having fun with his best friend.

The memory shifted. They were twelve now, but she looked older. Wyatt, who was fourteen, stood with Eve, trying to impress her with his latest achievements. Chris approached, jealousy gnawing at him. But Eve's eyes lit up with relief upon seeing him.

"Finally! Someone to save me from this endless monologue," she said loudly, rolling her eyes at Wyatt.

Wyatt blushed, uncharacteristically silent. Chris's heart swelled with silent triumph. Eve took his arm, and they walked away together, leaving Wyatt to stew in his embarrassment.

Another memory emerged. They were fourteen or fifteen, invisible together and hiding in a dark corner of Magic School, escaping the wrath of an irate professor again. Eve had grown into a beautiful young woman, and Chris was acutely aware of her closeness. She placed a finger on his lips, signaling him to stay quiet. His heart pounded so loudly he feared she could hear it.

Chris's eyelids fluttered open, and he found himself back in his bed. Wyatt sat nearby, watching him with a worried expression.

"Are you okay?" Wyatt asked softly.

Chris couldn't speak. The memories and emotions swirled inside him, leaving him disoriented and overwhelmed. Tears welled up in his eyes as he struggled to make sense of everything.

"I... I need to be alone," he managed to whisper, his voice trembling.

Wyatt hesitated, clearly concerned, but nodded. "Alright. I'll be downstairs if you need anything."

As Wyatt left the room, Chris turned on his side, tears streaming down his face. The weight of his memories, the confusion of his feelings for Eve, and the guilt of his actions pressed down on him. For the first time, he truly understood the depth of his connection with her and the pain of losing her.

He lay there, grappling with his emotions, trying to find a way forward in the tangled web of his past and present.