Chapter 7

Chris spent the rest of the day and night secluded in his room, avoiding his family. The following morning, he finally emerged, looking for something to eat. Piper was already in the kitchen and greeted him with a concerned look.

"How are you feeling since yesterday?" she asked gently.

"I still have a lot of headaches," Chris admitted, "but some memories came back, mostly about my sister." He deliberately avoided mentioning the memories of Eve, not ready to talk about them.

Piper's face brightened. "I'm glad you're starting to remember your family. Your aunts and cousins wanted to come see you, but I convinced them you needed more time to take things slow and not to overwhelm you."

Chris smiled at the thought. "Thank you. I didn't even know I had cousins, but it makes sense."

Piper nodded. "What are your plans for today?"

"I haven't really decided yet," Chris said, feeling a bit lost.

"Why don't you take a look at the photo albums I made?" Piper suggested. "Maybe they'll help jog more memories."

Feeling unsure but willing to try, Chris shrugged. "Sure, why not."

Back in his room with the photo albums, Chris flipped through the pages, expecting to see family pictures. To his surprise, Eve was in many of them. He had already forgotten how integral she was to the life of his family. At birthday parties, she was always beside him. On vacations, she was playing with him. He saw a picture of her on a mattress next to his bed during a pajama party for just the two of them. Everywhere he looked, Eve was there, her presence woven into the fabric of his memories.

He realized he owed her an apology for his cold behavior. If they had been so close, he should be able to sense her presence with his powers. It didn't take long; his body seemed to instinctively remember the feeling of her presence. He orbed to the front of her apartment and knocked on the door.

A blonde woman answered. He guessed it was Billie, her adoptive mother.

"Hi, I'm Chris," he said hesitantly. "I suppose you already know that... you're Billie, right? I need to see Eve."

Billie had heard about Chris's memory issues from Eve but was still surprised to see that he did not recognize her at all. Despite that, she was certainly not in the mood to be soft with him. "You've caused enough harm," she said, her voice cold. "She's been locked in her room crying since she got back."

Feeling guilty, Chris assured her, "I just want to apologize."

Billie sighed, "You better." then stepped aside to let him in. Seeing his lost expression, she pointed to Eve's room. "It's that way."

Chris walked down the hallway, his heart pounding. He hesitated for a moment outside Eve's door, but eventually knocked softly, hoping he could start to make things right.

When no one answered his knock, he slowly turned the handle and stepped inside. The room was dimly lit, and he found Eve lying on her bed, clutching a teddy bear almost as large as her tightly to her chest. Her body shook with quiet sobs, her face buried into the plush.

As he entered, a sharp pain like an invisible needle jabbed into his skull. It was a memory, fleeting but vivid: he had bought that very teddy bear for Eve when they were sixteen. The thought was overwhelming. He took a step closer, his heart aching at the sight of her distress.

Eve's eyes, red from crying, met his. Without a word, she became invisible. Chris's breath caught in his throat. He wasn't sure if she was still there or if she had run away. Desperately, he tried to reach out, his voice breaking as he spoke.

"I came to apologize... for being so harsh with you. I know I've hurt you."

From somewhere in the room, Eve's voice emerged, tremulous and laced with pain. "Do you remember us now? Our relationship?"

Chris swallowed hard. He sat on the bed next to the teddy bear and looked at it. He felt like it was judging him. "Well, not really. I've had some memories, about childhood, the magic school... but they're still very fragmented. I wish I could remember more."

Eve's sobs grew louder. She could see he was in pain, that his eyes weren't the same as earlier, but it wasn't enough. Chris felt a profound sense of helplessness and sorrow. He fumbled for words, but none came. His mind was a swirl of confusion and regret.

"I'm sorry," he said again, his voice barely above a whisper. "I didn't mean to hurt you. I just..."

His words trailed off. The weight of her pain was too much to bear, and the sight of her anguish was more than he could handle. He turned and left the room, his heart heavy, his steps quick as he retreated from the unbearable scene.

Back in the hallway, he leaned against the wall, feeling the sharp sting of his earlier pain, now a dull ache. He had come to apologize, but it had only made things worse. He wondered if he would ever truly understand the depth of their past or find a way to mend what he had broken. For now, all he could do was step away, leaving Eve to her sorrow, while he wrestled with his own turmoil.