Ch. 14 (or the one where a duke learns to fly)

A cacophony of voices engulfed all her senses. A tight feeling wrapped itself around her chest. Her eyes searched the crowd frantically for the source of commotion, but to no avail. Like a tingling flame, heat rose up, sneaking up her neck and traveling to her cheeks. Finally, she understood the faint whispers, held back laughter, and quick glances. She was the commotion.

'Oh... wow. That's what I call an outfit.'

'Likewise.' Ceryan's outfit choice blinded her in every sense. His bright yellow suit was covered in small hydrangea petals. The soft blue tone of the flower dampened the brightness just enough for Liliana to not avert her eyes immediately. Still, he managed to blend in with the others.

The youngest sibling huffed out an exaggerated sigh and turned around, facing the staring crowd. 'Come on, guys. A little privacy here? Get to your own shit. Can someone turn up the music, please?' She doubted his little speech would work, but soon dark, soothing music filled the room, and people returned to their conversations. 'Music, my ass. You can't call this dying-cat sound music.'

Gared smirked, 'Stop being dramatic, Care. That's something Aracians do.'

'You—' Sethin gripped her elbow again. She yanked her arm out of his grip and straightened her back. 'I had the impression that it was a masquerade, an event that pays respect to the Aracian culture.'

'I told you it would be a masquerade, didn't I? Look, we are all wearing the mask of tolerating you, and as you can see, we're showing our respect by representing your realm's nature... or rather the lack thereof.'

'You must be joking.'

'I don't joke.'

'Of course you don't. Gods forbid anyone who dares to be funny at the Zaronquel residence.'

Sensing the rising tension, Aresh swept over, 'What seems to be the problem here?' He gave her a disgruntled side glance. 'And what are they doing here?' With Ceryan distracted by Sethin's familiar, she took it into her own hands to handle the situation.

'There is no problem. Prince Gared is just very bad at making jokes.'

'Again, I don't joke.'

'What do you call this, then?'

'A statement that shows you your place.'

'I will show you—' she felt Sethin's warm hand on her elbow again, but what actually stopped her was Aresh's harsh voice.

'Stop it! Both of you.' They exchanged hateful glances but didn't dare to utter another word. 'Behave yourself for guardians' sake and stop this childish nonsense.' Aresh turned to her. 'And you,' his face sickeningly gaunt and pale. A dark shroud-looking-like cloak enveloped his lanky body, the fabric threatened to swallow him whole. 'Know your place. As bad as it is that you are here, but in this demeanor...' His lips curled into a disgusted frown.

Finally looking up from the bird, Ceryan joined back into the conversation. 'What's wrong with Maya's outfit? I think it's pretty,' he voiced out, his hand still petting the peacock's head.

'Of course you would say that. You look like a walking flower shop,' Gared scoffed. Ceryan averted his eyes, stoically looking at the floor. His lips formed a small pout. She could see how he chewed on his inner lips.

'The problem is that she isn't welcome here at all, but what's done is done. Let it go, Red.'

'Yes, Prince Gared. Let it go,' she mocked him. She stretched her hand out with the palm facing downward in Ceryan's direction. 'You may have the first dance with me.' Luckily, he was too confused to assess the situation and took her hand. With a lazy shrug in his brothers' direction, they made their way to the dance floor.