Chapter 1: The Morning Of

As Charlotte packed her suitcase, she thought of the week ahead. Luckily her daughters were staying with their dad for the week - it was one of the few weeks of the year where the nursery was closed - the seemingly soulless manager had decided that he would be nice and take the staff to the nearby theme park for a week off. It was extremely out of character for him, but everyone was looking forward to it nonetheless.

Charlotte heard a knock on the door.

"Char, we're here!!"

It was Carly, Charlotte's best friend. Despite their age gap, they bonded as soon as they met, and Charlotte was so glad that Carly had decided to talk to her in the staff room that one random day.

"Right, I'll be down in a sec, just got to finish packing!"

She frantically stuffed the rest of her belongings into her suitcase, closed the lid, and made her way downstairs, suitcase and carry-on in her hands.

As she unlocked the front door, an excited Carly pushed it open from the other side.

Charlotte was greeted by the sight of her best friend and her girlfriend - a surprising pair, considering they both could still sense some dislike lingering in the air when they were together, but it seemed they had decided to tolerate each other to meet Charlotte.

"Hey baby." Mia smiled, seeing Char's face light up as she met her gaze.

"Amelia! I didn't realise you were coming on this... work trip?" Char beamed.

"Of course I am, I'm here for you." She replied, grabbing Charlotte's suitcase in one hand, and her hand in the other.

They walked, hand in hand, fingers intertwined, to the coach that was waiting outside Charlotte's home, Carly skipping behind them like she was their child. Approaching the bus, Charlotte noticed that they were the last to board - her house was furthest from the nursery, therefore the last stop to pick everyone up.

After hauling Char's luggage into the space underneath the coach, Mia led Char onto the coach, Carly following eagerly behind.

"We're gonna sit at the back, sweetheart. I saved you a seat." she said, squeezing Char's hand.

The seating arrangement:

        Vivian (driver)

            Roger [] Siobhan

                      Carly + Eric [] Sorscha + Clodagh

Agatha + Deliah [] Jodie + Chef

      Winter + Autumn [] Reece + Marjorie

        Mia + Charlotte

A happy trip's what they expect,

But there are secrets being kept,

Not all survive, barely four,

Let's give them time, for joy once more.