Bind

Now that Naruto was being escorted by the ANBU without a disguise, he attracted looks from many of the people on the street. The destroyed village didn't light up the night sky like it used to, and the glow of lamps and storefronts on the main street cut a bright path through the darkness. Walking through it felt a little like being on display.

But these looks were not the type he was used to. The hostility had already diminished some in his time, but even then, it had mostly been replaced with indifference and the occasional curiosity.

Quite a few people were looking at him curiously now, while some looked concerned. Some people even smiled fondly at him. Naruto wondered how many of them knew what was going on. He felt a little self-conscious and walked closer beside the Cat ANBU.

"So you guys were guarding us the whole time?" he said awkwardly.

"Tsunade-sama told us to stay with you and Sakura-san," Cat said. "Though another attack tonight is unlikely, all our defenses have been demolished. It isn't as safe here as we would like."

"So I guess you heard our conversation? It's true, isn't it? I mean... everyone really knows about me now?"

She didn't have to ask what he meant. "Yes. It was inevitable, once Akatsuki started taking serious action against the world's jinchuuriki. People had to know why you were being hunted, and why it was so important that Akatsuki be stopped."

"How... did they take it? Just tell me. And don't try to say you can't." Naruto looked away from here.

"Don't worry. Everyone accepts you," Cat answered in an uncharacteristically gentle tone for an ANBU. "You're the village hero. I think your old schoolmates barely batted an eye. The older generation already knew, and the younger ones followed the lead of your peers. If someone from Akatsuki came after you in the street right now, they wouldn't have just us ANBU to contend with. They'd have to fight through everyone down to the civilian street sweeper with their broom to get to you."

Naruto felt warmth rising to his cheeks. Okay, that had to be an exaggeration, but it felt good anyway. He turned back toward Cat eagerly. "Can't you tell me something about my older self?"

"It would be difficult to say. We aren't personally acquainted." At his disappointed look, she added, "But from what I have seen, you've grown up admirably. It doesn't always go that way in our line of work, you know. Everyone has a breaking point, where it all becomes too much to take in at once. That's especially true for those given the role of jinchuuriki. Continue living and being yourself. That's my advice."

Cat escorted him all the way back to the hospital. They parted ways at the door to Sai's room, Cat assuring him that they need only call if anything happened.

Sakura looked up from a book she was reading when he came in. She didn't seem angry, like had only half-jokingly suspected, but deeply apprehensive.

"I'm sorry," she said immediately. "I didn't mean to—"

"It's okay, Sakura-chan." He walked over and made to sit across from her again, but paused when he saw a drawstring bag sitting in the chair.

"One of the ANBU went and collected some things from your room," Sakura said. "What was left of it, anyway."

Naruto opened the drawstring bag and saw his Team 7 photograph laying on top. Tale of the Utterly Gutsy Shinobi was below that. Was it the only book they could find, or did they know it was his older self's favorite? Below that were a few shirts and a thin, ratty-looking blanket.

"We'll be staying here until Tsunade-sama can figure out what to do with you," Sakura explained. "Most of your older self's clothes would be too big for you, so they didn't bring much. I grabbed a few things for you from supplies donated to the hospital." She pointed at the bed across from Sai's, where a few small piles of folded clothing lay.