Darkness

The darkness expanded into a circular room carved from rock. The only light came from an oil lamp hanging above a stone chair.

Naruto stumbled into the space, but he didn't fall. He took a split second to regain his bearings, then turned around to punch the masked man. To his surprise, the punch sailed through the man's head harmlessly.

"What—"

The masked man grabbed Naruto's arm and twisted it around his back. Naruto tried to wrench himself free, but in a matter of seconds his hands were tied together behind his back, and the man let him go. Naruto staggered from the sudden lack of resistance and walked sideways into the wall.

"Now you can't weave signs," The masked man said calmly.

"Bastard," Naruto snarled, and he lunged at the man. But once again, he went right through.

"Your struggling is pointless. I suggest you listen quietly, instead of getting overexcited and using up all the air too quickly. This is a sealed room, and while I can escape it easily, you cannot." The masked man walked across the room and sat in the chair casually.

"Who are you? Where is this?" Naruto demanded.

"This room is part of an old lair of Orochimaru's. We are working together... for now. As for who I am, it doesn't really matter. The Allied Shinobi Force knows me as Uchiha Madara, but since that name probably means nothing to you, you can call me Tobi."

"You're... Madara?"

"Oh? It seems you do know something, after all. Do not worry. I only brought you here to talk a little while. I will take you back after, if you still want to go back."

"Just want to talk? Yeah, right! You kidnapped me. I already know you're after the Kyuubi. You'll have to kill me before I let that happen."

"If I killed you, I wouldn't be able to get the Kyuubi." Tobi sighed. "Orochimaru tells me I can't extract the bijuu from you anyway, because he used a Zetsu clone as a base for constructing your body in this time. The cells will react if exposed to the immense yang energy of the Kyuubi, without it being guided by your will."

"I have no idea what you're talking about, but if you really aren't after the Kyuubi, why would you bring me here?"

"I told you. I just want to talk. I have no reason to harm you, but I can help you. And I think if you knew the truth, you could help me, too."

The Great Toad Sage's words were still fresh in Naruto's mind. Suddenly, the old toad's powers didn't seem so improbable anymore. And if they were real, that meant that he was in mortal danger, whatever Tobi said. But he hadn't expected it to happen so soon.

"You're out of your mind," Naruto scoffed, putting his back to the wall, as far from Tobi as he could get. "What the hell makes you think I would ever want to help you? You're trying to force the entire world into war!"

"You're in a position to understand me." Tobi tilted his head thoughtfully. "I tried negotiating with the Five Kage, but that failed. You're an outsider here. You're able to see the state of the world for what it is. I'd explain it to your older self as well, but they have him hidden away and do not plan to let him near the war."

"So you can't kidnap him too, obviously."

"Naturally. But they do not understand you at all, past or present. I doubt the older you knows anything about the war. If he did, he would have already tried to confront me himself."

"He wouldn't care what you have to say. I know I don't."

"Isn't that because everyone is needlessly throwing themselves into danger for your sake? You have such a strong desire to protect your friends it doesn't matter what I have to say. Yet I have no grudge against your friends or you. In fact, everyone will benefit from my plan. Do you see how much better it is, then, to talk in person like this without interference?"