Bruise

Nothing could have convinced Obito as much as seeing the truth himself. That didn't mean it was easy to accept.

He stopped walking to stare at Kakashi—recklessly, knowing he was close enough to be in range of that lightning jutsu. He was too angry to be afraid.

"How could you have let this happen?" Obito shouted, fists clenched. "Why couldn't you stop me? You were always able to beat me before! Why not now?"

"Enough!" Kakashi said harshly. He took a step back and looked around, ready to defend himself from any side. "I told you that won't work. If you still want to fight, come out and we can finish this."

Obito growled and jumped at Kakashi, rearing back for a punch. Not expecting an attack to come from the 'illusion', Kakashi whirled around and threw out a kick that landed squarely in the middle of Obito's chest. Obito went crashing to the ground and rolled a couple of times before jumping back up, Sharingan blazing underneath the goggles.

Kakashi's brow furrowed, and he hesitated.

"Did you transform yourself?" he wondered out loud. He got back into a fighting stance.

#

Naruto climbed over the column, cursing under his breath. He jumped from one block to another and reached the bottom in time to see Kakashi and Obito clash, sending the young Uchiha flying.

Why were they fighting?

When Obito got back to his feet, Kakashi came toward him with a set, grim look Naruto didn't like at all. It was like he had resigned himself to the worst.

This was too much like what had happened when Naruto had met the older Sasuke. Things were not going like that this time.

"Stop it!" Naruto jumped down onto the platform. "Kakashi-sensei, stop! This will probably be pretty weird to you, but it's not what—"

"Naruto?" Kakashi paused again, confused. "What is..."

Naruto walked until he was standing in between the two of them. Remembering himself, Obito deactivated the Sharingan, but he kept scowling. Kakashi glanced at Obito then at Naruto again, suspicion lingering in his eyes even now. He looked uneasily at the empty space around him.

"Why are you bothering to hide like this now? It won't do you any good to pretend."

"Damn it, we're real! Listen—" Naruto made to approach Kakashi, but he jumped back the moment Naruto made a move toward him. When he landed, it jolted his wounds and he winced, holding his side and sinking down to his knees. The front of his vest was slashed deep enough that blood seeped through.

"Kakashi-sensei!" Naruto ran over to him, watching in case Kakashi decided to fight him, too. He'd never seen his normally unflappable mentor so shaken before. "Are you okay? Just take it easy. Look, it's me, Naruto from the past, right? I know, everyone thought I was sent back, and I was—but Orochimaru brought me into this time again. This Obito here, he's like me. Orochimaru brought him to the future, too. He's not that... the guy you just fought."

Kakashi looked up at him, slightly out of breath and obviously in pain. He glanced at Obito standing there as before, then pulled the headband down over his Sharingan eye. Naruto suddenly realized he'd never questioned why his sensei had it before. Kakashi unfolded from his defensive crouch and sat back on the ground.

Seeing that the situation had diffused a bit, Obito came closer, looking equal parts wary and concerned.

"What happened?" Kakashi asked wearily. He didn't meet Obito's gaze—instead, he looked carefully up at Naruto.