Kazekage

"There it is," Neji said. He held up a hand. The team stopped behind him, landing lightly on tree branches.

Beyond the edge of the trees was a long stretch of sandy grass that gradually shifted into pure sand, a gradient from vegetation to never-ending desert.

"We should be close to the rendezvous point," Sai said.

Neji activated his Byakugan and looked down the treeline to the west.

"Do you see them?" Naruto shifted impatiently on his tree branch.

Neji smiled. "Aa. And I think they see us, too."

"Huh?"

Neji pointed down. A small, strange floating orb circled in the air below them. He jumped down from his tree and they all followed.

The floating orb whizzed around each of them in turn, and Naruto noticed when it paused near him that it was actually a floating eyeball.

"Hey," he said in surprise. "That's—"

They appeared in a sudden whirl of sand. On the left, Kankuro stood with one hand on his hip and a cocky smile. On the right, Temari leaned against her fan; she looked relaxed, but was still cautious enough to have her weapon out. And in the middle, Gaara stood straight-backed with his arms folded, looking no more or less excited than usual. The two older siblings were dressed in dark blue and black tones, with light-colored neck wraps that draped down their front. Gaara was in red.

Anyone who didn't know him would have seen his indifferent posture and expression and get the impression of a bland, standoffish person. But to those who knew better, he was practically beaming with joy. Naruto wouldn't have needed Sakura's assurances to tell right away that Gaara's life had changed dramatically for the better.

"Gaara!" he called happily, starting forward.

"Hold on." Neji stuck his hand out to stop Naruto. He took out the mission scroll Tsunade gave them and tossed it onto the ground. It rolled open, revealing the text written on it. Gaara also took out a scroll and tossed it down. Gaara's scroll rolled open over theirs. There was a pop and a puff of smoke, and a pigeon came out of the crossed seals and darted into the sky as if startled. Neji visibly relaxed and Temari snapped her fan into place on her back.

"I didn't know you guys were going to meet us here!" Naruto trotted up to Gaara and gave the three siblings a wide smile. He had to fight down the urge to hug his long-lost friend, since he wasn't sure whether Gaara had changed quite enough to be okay with random hugs. "I thought it was going to be a group of stiff, diplomatic types! Baa-chan said the Kazekage was supposed to meet us here."

"Hah?" Temari put a hand on her hip. "Yeah. Gaara is the Kazekage."

Naruto's grin faded and he stared at her. He whirled around to look at his team quizzically.

"It's true!" Sakura said. "Told you you'd like the Kazekage!" She winked.

Naruto whirled back to Gaara for confirmation.

"I don't have the hat with me, if that's what you're looking for," Gaara said, quietly amused. "But it's true. Nobody mentioned it to you?"

"No," Naruto said loudly. "How did—I don't—this is awesome!"

Gaara smiled. Smiled. "I can tell you about it later. First, I have some news. There's been a slight change of plans." Gaara bent to pick the scrolls up from the ground. He straightened and rolled them up neatly.

"What?" Sakura glanced aside at the others.

"I know we planned to camp here and leave early in the morning." Gaara handed their scroll to Neji. "But something has come up, and we need to return sooner. We have to leave right away and travel through the night."