CHAPTER 1

Tiffany's POV

Black clouds sprawl across the sky, billowing in from the west. The black and brown thorns wrap around the forest, almost like teeth waiting to tear at you. The trees seem to close in, choking out the light and letting the fog roll around like a breath.

The air grows heavy and the humidity presses down, suffocating. The scent of rain is dark and heady.

I cracked my eyes open, feeling all dizzy and muzzy. The whole of my body aching, i couldn't find the source of the pain because it was everywhere visible. My sight was bleary due to the migraine. Where the heck am i and why do my body feel like i was beaten to a pulp?

I managed to stand up with my legs floppy. The forest seemed old and antiquated, the trees were staring at me like silent sentries. The whole forest was dead silent. I carefully limped pass the thorns and then i got to a hill with sloppy steps to get down. Looking down the hill, i sighted the huge building.

Wait, that's my school Making Waves Academy, then how did i get up on these mountains? I couldn't seem to remember anything but i need to go back. Climbing down the hill steps, i accidentally slipped and just like that, i was throw down the hills shouting like a psycho. I landed on my back with a loud groan escaping my lips, surprisingly i wasn't hurt; only the few scratches i sustained in the forest.

I sluggard up and realized i was standing right in front of my school gate but something was off. Everything seemed old and there was littering leaves everywhere. I could remember that every saturdays, every student in school comes out to keep the school environment clean. Why isn't it so anymore?

After a little hesitation, i opened the gate which gave a creaking sound of rusted steels. And why is the gate open? The gateman never fails to lock the gate exactly 8:00pm. Maybe he forgot, i reassured myself and lumbered in. The school compound was dead cold and quiet causing me to have skin prickling.

I mustered enough courage and this time i was scuttling as my strength could take me. Just as i was about opening the main door, i began hearing ghostly whispers that made me halt. I looked around shuddering and my heart pounding in my chest, threatening to jump out of my chest.

I waved my fear aside as i was about taking another step, i felt like someone was following me, i jerked my head back scouring the whole compound but i saw no one. The ghostly whispers were becoming intense and resonance so out of fear i took to my heels. Running as fast as i could without seeing the door ahead of me, i bonked my head there and swooned. Perhaps it's for the best, i will wake up tomorrow morning and all that happened would just be a dream.

*
My head was rumbling in complete pain and migraine, i squinted my eyes into the bright light. I was relieved, at least i'm not waking up to another suffocating forest. The heavy noise coming from outside seemed to be a storm, it was raining heavily.

After adjusting to the bright light, i opened my eyes fully only to see many heads staring at me, i panicked and shouted loud.

"Relax.... relax" i heard a voice from one of them. The other helped me to sit uprightly, and i calmed down knowing they were humans like me and not ghosts. I scanned their faces, they were my classmates but one of them was one class ahead of us.

"Lexie?" i called barely hearing myself and she beamed up

"You naughty girl" she prodded my forehead with her pen. "We've been looking for you and actually got tired. I mean you scared us all". I furrowed eyebrows confused. They were looking for me? But i didn't go anywhere, i only woke up in a forest. That strange thing remained pensive to me. Why and how did i end up in a forest?

Just questions filling my head with no precised answer. Well i should be happy right? I'm safe and sound now

" I don't know, i just found myself up the mountains" i answered without understanding what i even said. Benji nodded like he knew what i was saying, like it was sensible. Benji and Lexie were my classmates and close friends as well but Ralph? the older guy.... he was.... i don't know. Perhaps a close friend too but i can't remember.

"It's alright Tiffany, what's more important is that you are fine and safe" Benji reminded and i gave a slight smile. Ralph looked at me uncannily and turned to leave but i stopped him. I can remember him to be so cold but his reaction now is icy and i seem a bit scared.

"Ralph? are you okay? You don't seem fine to me" i enquired with concern genuinely plastered on my face. Surprising everyone he chuckled awkwardly

"I'm fine Tiffany, the storm is heavy so you better go back to sleep" he suggested and with one glance at everyone, he left. I still find him a little bit strange

"He was very worried when you disappeared, so don't mind his attitude" Lexie gave a quirky smile and i nodded with a giggle. That's odd but i think i like the sound. I don't know but i feel this surreal connection with Ralph.

"Tiffany, we have class now. We will come see you immediately classes are over" Benji said and with that they left me in the room all alone to ponder about the strange thing that happened. I glanced at the room and sighed. Yeah it's mine but i don't understand why everything seems old in my eyes.

I will go get myself eye-glasses if my sight is now failing. But was i gone that long? I mean for everything to look old and unkempt. Wait, did i wake up from a slumber 100 years ago? That's absurd really. I looked through the dusty window and the storm doesn't seem to be stopping anytime soon. I have to leave this room, staying alone now is like a torture to myself.

I quietly walked out of my room walking pass the dusty hallway. How did this school become so dirty all of a sudden? All the students that walked pass me where giving me eerie looks that muddled me. Am i wearing the wrong clothes? They all looked so strange and creepy almost frightening. Why do the students look like ghosts?

It was like i'm in an entire different world all together, perhaps in a world full of aliens and i, their prey. Thankfully i spotted Ralph, at least he's not frightening like the other students. He was all alone beside the small lake that we had behind the school gardens. Since today, the never changing thing i've seen is the lake. The waters remained fresh and clean

"Hi Ralph" i called pulling him out of the rivers of his thought. He turned back and glimpsed at me with wry plastered on his face. I think i know why, he suggested i get some rest but here i am disobeying him i guess.

"You're supposed to be resting Tiffany" he frowns and goes back to staring at the lake. I clasped my hands together as i crept and sat beside him with a giggle but this time he showed no emotions.

"Everything seems old and cold in this school. It's like i was gone for a long time, i'm now like Rip Van Winkle" i said gazing deep into the lake. Yes, i now look like a new person in this school, i mean the same school i have been attending since i was 6 is no longer familiar to me anymore.

"Not really" he looked quizzical "Change is constant as you already know". He picked up a stone and threw it into the lake. That act he just did seem very familiar but.... but i don't remember a thing of it.

" You too" i darted my eyes from the lake to look at him and he did the same. "You've changed so much, not that i remember certain things. Like the role you're playing in my life"

"You.... you mean, you..... don't remember me anymore? " he asked in bewilderment

"No... not really, i can't remember some significant details and i don't know why" i was perturbed and frustrated too

"Hmm... well that's good" he blurted and i arched my eyebrows at him. What did he just say? It's good?

"Huh?.... why? " i gaped with confusion marring my face

"Actually it's better you don't remember anything. It is for your own good. I need to get going now" he quickly left me bemused. What is it that i can't remember?