Chapter 1

It was all my fault.

It is how I felt.

After everything that had happened.

My mother is in the hospital fighting for her life.

I just want to be there.

My father and sister would not let me see her nor talk to her.

They said I had done enough already I was not needed anymore.

I have sold my soul to the devil.

I realize my mistakes.

Mistakes.

To be honest they should be called the worst decisions that I have taken till now.

I want to correct them, but the time is long gone.

All that is possible is to turn over a new leaf.

A new life would be better, I guess?

I am doing what I can.

I know it might not be enough, but should I say it will never be enough?

I have destroyed myself, my life I should say, but what I did not even have imagined was how much I made my family suffer.

Inside this heart of mine, there was once this great flame, and with its light disappeared all bad thoughts and despair in life, until now.

And now, this fire no longer burns.

It has extinguished, all that is left is ash.

Impossible to reignite.

...

I can never forget her, I never will.

Since I first saw her I knew we were meant to be, but now, are we still meant to be?

It was the first day of freshman year and I was late as usual. I reach the classroom running, then try to sneak my way in quietly. Unfortunately, my attempt was not successful.

Miss. Valentine had just introduced the new student, who had recently moved from the big city to our boring small town Oak Ridge, to everyone, except for me, the reason being my tardiness.

While I was crossing the classroom's threshold trying and failing miserably to do so without any noise with my wet squeaky sneakers, attracting all the unwanted attention.

When she looked in my direction, our eyes locked and then I lost all sense of time.

I felt something I never felt before.

I didn't know then what this feeling was, but I do know it now

It may have lasted a few seconds, but for me, it felt longer.

Coincidentally, our assigned seats were next to each other in the middle lane in the back and they stayed that way all year.

We started as friends, then best friends before we started dating.

It seemed like it was destiny.

We used to joke that only death would do us part.

It was not supposed to happen in reality.

What was the fault in our stars?

Was this fate? If so, why?

Why this terrible fate?

I guess I won't even ever get the answers to these questions.

Chloe's friends had planned an all-girls week and they were going to spend it at the cabin her best friend Alex's parents had purchased not too long ago. It was not too far just about a two-hour drive. It was a short summer getaway for the girls that they would remember forever.