Epilogue

Elijah age 6

It's scary in this room I don't like to be alone. Especially at night. I want to go back to the children's home. Some of the older kids let me sleep at the bottom of their bed on nights I couldn't sleep. I want to ask Cindy if I can sleep with her but I don't think she likes me very much. I've been here for 6 days and she only speaks to me when my foster parents tell her to. She's older than me and the carers at my children's home said she would look out for me and help me. But so far she hasn't done anything nice. I think she's pretty she has brown hair that reminds me of chocolate and sparkly blue eyes like me but mine are darker than hers. Her eyes are like the sky on a sunny day mine are like the sky at night time when the sun has nearly set. I try to think what I can do to make her be my friend. I decide to climb out of bed and draw her a picture, pictures used to make my carers smile at the children's home. I get the paper and all the colours I will need, lay on the floor and get to work.
I wake up cold and uncomfortable. I fell asleep on the floor doing Cindy's picture. I pick it up and place it on my night stand. Climb into bed and fall asleep hopefull that tomorrow Cindy will be my friend.

I walk downstairs happy but also nervous. As I reach the kitchen Cindy is at the table eating her cereal so I slowly walk over to her and hand her the picture "here you go" I say quietly. She stares at me then snatches the picture and starts laughing then screams "gross gross Maria look, Elijah drew a picture of me and him holding hands. That's so gross" she shoves the picture at my chest and leaves the kitchen. I feel my eyes getting watery and know I'm going to cry I don't want to."hey buddy, what you got there?" Derek my foster father ask. I just stand here for a minute breathing he takes the picture from me I look up at him he doesn't look mad so I tell him "I just want Cindy to be my friend so...I...I thought if I drew a picture of us holding hands being friends she would want to be my friend" he puts his hand on my shoulder and says "I know bud. She will come around soon just give her time. Ok." I nod take the picture and put it in the bin.