The Sanja Festival was in full swing, a vibrant whirl of colors, sounds, and smells that enveloped the park. As I walked through the entrance, the contrast between the lively festival and my recent solitary study sessions was stark. For the first time in weeks, I allowed myself to step away from my textbooks and immerse in the joyous chaos around me.

Hiroto, Yumi, and Mia were waiting near a food stall, laughter and excitement in their voices. Hiroto waved me over with a bright smile. "Taichi! You made it!"

I forced a smile and joined them. The energy of the festival was infectious, and I tried to match their enthusiasm. We grabbed some snacks and strolled through the crowded streets, the lively atmosphere pulling me momentarily away from my stress. I was determined to enjoy the festival, even if my mind occasionally drifted back to the looming midterms.

"Have you tried the takoyaki here?" Yumi asked, holding out a steaming plate of the octopus balls.

I shook my head. "Not yet. I've been missing out, huh?" I took a bite and tried to focus on the present moment.

Hiroto grinned and pointed towards a booth in the distance. "You should definitely check out the games over there. They've got that ring toss game that's supposed to be really fun. Want to give it a try?"

"Sure, why not?" I replied, attempting to embrace the spirit of the festival.

We made our way to the booth. The game was simple but tricky, involving tossing rings over bottles. Yumi and Mia took their turns with enthusiasm, and Hiroto's competitive spirit was evident as he expertly landed several rings on the bottles.

"Nice job, Hiroto!" I cheered, trying to get into the competitive spirit myself. I took a few attempts, but my rings mostly missed their targets. "Guess I'm not as skilled at this as I thought."

Mia laughed, giving me a friendly nudge. "You're doing great! It's all about having fun, not just winning."

As we played, the festival continued to buzz with energy. The crowd seemed to swell, and the sound of laughter and music grew louder. Despite my attempts to focus on enjoying the evening, the growing density of the crowd started to wear on me. 

I excused myself briefly, pretending to check a message on my phone. In reality, I was trying to gather my thoughts and calm the growing anxiety that came with the dense crowd. The festival, while once a symbol of joy, now felt like a sea of faces pressing in on me.

When I returned to my friends, Hiroto's sharp eyes caught my unease. "Everything okay, Taichi? You look a little off."

"Yeah" I admitted, attempting to sound casual. "I think I should head back soon. I still have a lot of work to do."

Hiroto's brow furrowed in concern. "If you need to go, that's fine. But don't shut yourself away completely, okay? You should at least enjoy the festival a little. We'll catch up later."

Yumi and Mia looked at me sympathetically. "Yeah, don't stress too much," Mia said. "We can hang out another time."

I gave them a grateful nod. "Thanks, everyone."

As I waved goodbye and started to make my way out of the park, the crowd felt less forgiving. I was trying to navigate through the maze of stalls and people, and the confusion only added to my stress. I shook my head and continued walking, pushing through the crowd.

Lost in my thoughts, I almost didn't notice someone approaching. It was Isamu, his expression a mix of curiosity and something else I couldn't quite place. He was with a girl and two other guys, his friends from what I could tell.

"Taichi?" Isamu called out, breaking through the noise.

I turned, surprised to see him here. "Isamu."