十二

The sun was blazing as we gathered at the trailhead for our hike to Yutaki Falls. The energy in the air was palpable, with my classmates buzzing with excitement about the adventure ahead. Meanwhile, I was less enthusiastic. Hiking and strenuous activities were never my strong suit. I was much more comfortable buried in books or exploring new facts from the safety of my room.

As everyone started up the trail, I lagged behind. The path was steep and rocky, and every step felt like a minor victory. I struggled to keep up, my legs already aching from the effort. I cast a glance at the trail ahead, where most of my classmates had already disappeared into the distance. The scenery was beautiful, but it did little to alleviate the growing discomfort I felt.

"Hey, Taichi!" Hiroto called out, pausing to wait for me. He looked concerned. "How's it going back there?"

I forced a smile and tried to sound upbeat. "Just catching my breath. Didn't realize how steep this trail was."

Hiroto gave me an encouraging nod before rejoining the rest of the group. I continued on, feeling the weight of my backpack and the steep incline pressing down on me. Every now and then, I stumbled over uneven rocks or caught my breath, muttering to myself about how I'd much rather be back in the camp or, even better, back in my cozy room with a book.

The hike was turning out to be far more grueling than I had anticipated. Each step felt like a struggle, and I could hear the whispers of my classmates ahead, their voices growing fainter with each passing minute. I was acutely aware of their occasional glances back in my direction. It was as if I could sense their judgment, their perceptions of me as the stereotypical nerd or the whiny complainer weighing heavily on my shoulders.

By the time I finally reached a rest stop where the group had paused, I was drenched in sweat, my breathing ragged. My legs felt like lead, and I was trying hard not to let my frustration show.

"Sensei," I said, approaching our teacher with a mix of desperation and hope. "I'm really struggling with this hike. Is there any chance I could head back to the campsite? I don't want to hold everyone up."

The teacher, a kind woman with a warm demeanor, looked at me sympathetically but with a firm resolve. "I'm sorry, Taichi, but we've come quite a way already. It wouldn't be practical to have you turn back now. It's important that we all stick together."

My heart sank at her response. I knew she was right, but that didn't make the situation any easier. I sighed, feeling a mix of frustration and embarrassment as I realized I was stuck on the trail. The whispers from my classmates grew more pronounced, and I could hear fragments of their conversations—"the slow one" and "the one who's always in the library."

Despite the growing sense of being out of place, I continued the hike. Each step was a minor triumph, and I tried to focus on the positives—the fresh air, the beautiful views, and the knowledge that I was about to see Yutaki Falls, which I had read so much about. The thought of the waterfall kept me going, even if the trail was relentlessly tough.

Finally, after what felt like an eternity, we reached Yutaki Falls. The sight was nothing short of breathtaking—a cascade of water tumbling down the rocks, surrounded by lush greenery. For a moment, all my exhaustion was forgotten as I marveled at the natural beauty before me. It was just as stunning as I had imagined from my research, and it reminded me why I had been so excited to see this place in person.

In the afternoon, we returned to the campsite for some group activities. The air was filled with laughter and the sounds of playful competition as students engaged in traditional Japanese games like Kendama and Hanabi. It looked like a lot of fun, and I was tempted to join in. But the thought of participating in something I had little experience with was daunting.