Prologue - "Every contract has a weak point"

'Every contract has a weak point'

Out of necessity, some people don't make very smart choices. The day may come when they will regret them, but very few think about it. The reason is simple. It's not about the present moment, but about some day in the future. And the future is far away. It is not within reach or otherwise attainable, so there is no need to worry about what it will be. It's not tomorrow, or the day after tomorrow, or next week. It is a day that is irrelevant to those who lack foresight.

࿇ ══━━━━✥◈✥━━━━══ ࿇

It was a late fall day, winter was on its way, and it must have started raining about an hour ago. The weather just couldn't make up its mind. Sometimes bright sunshine, then rain or a few scattered snowflakes falling from the sky. On top of that, it was already dark, even though it was just after six in the evening.

Five yards before the light, Kayla slammed on the brakes, the car skidded a good foot due to the wetness, and the windshield wipers did absolutely nothing. All she could see were glowing dots around her. In the rearview mirror, she saw her younger sister Kaitlyn texting on her cell phone, still not thrilled that Kayla had picked her up because their father had thought that if the storm really hit tomorrow, she'd be stuck at the Gordons' and wouldn't be able to make it home.

After the light turned green a little later, Kayla took one last look left and then right, which didn't do much good in the heavy rain, before she put the car in first gear and cautiously drove away. And yet, despite all her care, the next thing Kayla heard was the clang of metal.

The car Kaitlyn and Kayla were in was thrown across the intersection at full speed, coming to a stop only when it hit the light. A truck driver had missed the light and plowed right into the two women's car.