01 - "A life for a life"

"A life for a life"

The time between immediately after the accident and waking up in the hospital was a blur. The entire left side of the car had been dented, Kayla vaguely remembered, and she had barely been able to open the driver's door. She had only managed to crawl out of the wreckage and then lay on the ground, unable to move. Shortly after that, everything had gone black and the world around her had become completely blurred. Perhaps it had been an advantage not to have experienced everything else.

It wasn't until the hospital that Kayla came to with a headache and no idea where she was. She was in a relatively brightly lit room with three beds, although there were no people in the other two, and a small table with a phone and a lamp next to each bed. Apart from the death headache she was feeling at the moment and the slight pain in her limbs, she felt fine. Which, all things considered, felt anything but right.

Half an hour after waking up, Kayla walked slowly through the empty hallway on her floor and through all the corridors, constantly searching for a nurse who might be able to give her an answer as to what had happened to Kaitlyn during and after the accident. It wasn't even midnight that day, according to the clock, but she could have sworn she'd been in a coma for several days, but it had only been a few hours. Hours.

Quite a bit of time passed before a nurse was finally found, during which Kayla hoped that Kaitlyn had gotten off as lightly as she had, and yet a voice in her head said it wouldn't be. Confirmation that all was well did not come, however. According to the nurse, the impact had been so strong that Kaitlyn was lucky to have survived. After two hours of surgery, she was transferred to intensive care and has been in a coma ever since.

"So young. She had a whole life ahead of her," Kayla heard a voice say in the hallway after she left her sister's room and saw a man with dark blond hair sitting in one of the chairs, now looking at her, "We should talk."