Chapter 26: Black Feathers

Oliver's eyes narrowed as he sized his opponent up. It felt weird to be doing this. Throughout the entirety of those long five years where he imagined what his return home would look like, not once had this image ever been conjured up. But after several months of working with them down in the Foundry and training with Diggle and Lydia, Laurel had finally asked him to spar with her. And though he was not completely sure that it was a good idea, Oliver had seen her practice enough that he knew she wasn't exactly a beginner. True to form, it took mere minutes for Laurel to show him just how wrong all of his assumptions were. He'd won all the rounds so far, but each time he was finding that it took more effort to beat her.

"So, you just gonna watch all day?" she said.

Oliver shook his head.

"Don't get overconfident. And remember to center yourself so you don't lose balance." he told her.

Laurel gave a little smirk.

"Right. Center myself."

In the other rounds Oliver had allowed Laurel to make the first move. A way to let her set the pace. This time though he made the first move, a quick jab at her midsection. Laurel easily swatted it away, a defense he expected, and retaliated with a kick. Oliver took a step back to avoid before pressing the attack again. That proved to be a challenge though. Oliver was by no means slow, and he was aware of that fact. It was how he had bested opponents that were more physically imposing than him, like Slade Wilson or Konstantin Kovar. Speed, efficient technique and determination to push through no matter what. However, Laurel seemed to have him matched at every turn. She was lightning fast, her technique was as efficient and practiced as his own and if the look on her face was anything to go by, neither of them had any intention of surrendering. Each time Oliver attacked, Laurel was quick to mount a counter-offensive of her own. A point that was driven home when Oliver was forced to stagger back after barely blocking another kick.

"That all you got, Robin Hood?"

Oliver raised his eyebrows. Laurel merely gave him a grin and bounced on her feet. She was taunting him.

He lunged forward, though Laurel quickly dodged out of the way. A series of complex jabs followed, Oliver doing his best to block and to push through those that slipped past his guard before pushing her back. As Laurel stepped back to regain her balance, Oliver noticed the bright smile that adorned her face. She was having fun with this. And to Oliver's surprise, he found that it was the case for him too. Laurel was keeping him on his toes, ensuring it took all his focus to evade and counter her. But unlike all the other times he had experienced this, he felt safe. There was no danger, death wasn't waiting to greet him if he failed. The adrenaline rush that came from each strike thrown and blocked carried with it no fear. Every time Laurel threw another jab or kick felt just the same as it did when she would playfully poke fun at him verbally, and every time he blocked it was just like when he simply grinned and shook his head in response. This... this was fun.

Oliver was so stunned by this realization that he dropped his guard long enough for Laurel to sweep his leg. Before he could process what was happening his back collided with the mat, knocking the air out of his lungs. Laurel then quickly lunged forward to trap him, placing a leg on his chest and pinning his wrists above his head.

"I win." she told him with a grin and labored breathing, her voice barely more than a whisper.

Oliver was left speechless, his brain still trying to process what had just happened, chest rising and falling as he tried to calm his breathing. His heartbeat was pounding in his ears like a war drum, and Oliver was keenly aware that it wasn't solely due to the physical exertion. This was the closest he had been to Laurel in a very long time. He could feel her warm breath ghosting over his features like a gentle breeze, he could admire every perfect strand of her hair, he could make out each different shade of green contained in her eyes. So many times he had pictured this over the last five years. In his dreams, when he needed the strength to push forward. But now she was here, right in front of him, flesh and bone. She was real, not a dream. And she was so close...