78% || Shooting Stars

⿴﹒music is applied to this chapter﹔🎧

'' The Day We Met ''
lord huron

Skies swirled in blue and purple, dotted with glowing, shifting stars

Skies swirled in blue and purple, dotted with glowing, shifting stars. The taste of alcohol on my tongue and the cold bottle in my hand matched the colder wind that ruffled my hair. I felt naked without my blindfold, especially out here on the balcony, where anyone down below could see the scars permanently graved into my skin.

Staring out across the horizon I tried to piece my brain together, the mission being my main focus, just like always. To fit every puzzle piece to had into a little box so I could finally put them all together, there were still pieces missing and I knew it but maybe– just maybe if I thought hard enough I'd find those pieces.

Then Kay could go home and she could go back to sending me treats that I never asked for but she wanted me to try anyway, Allumos would go back to their usual self and stop fussing over seeing Blake again, and Brandon could go back to cradling and babying his kids, and we all could leave this crappy city and go back to our crime-filled one.

The one where I got to bust drug dealers and murderers every other day or fight someone else trying to conquer the city once more. I missed it, the days I didn't have to worry about when the train station or cargo ship would be leaving next.

Tucking my lips into a pressed, thin line, I watched the sky with tired eyes. My brain throbbed and my tongue tingled from the alcohol. I bit the tip of my tongue, listening to the sliding door unlatch behind me and slide open, Kay's quiet footsteps quiet as she approached me.

"Go back to bed," I muttered, switching the hand that held my alcohol to the other so I could cup hers as she mimicked my posture over the side of the balcony.

Kay didn't say anything, watching the skies shifting with her brown eyes, twirling her hair with one finger, her mouth twitched slightly while she thought over her thoughts for a moment. Both of us were silent until she finally whispered, "Do you think they're still alive?"

Licking my lips, I furrowed my brows and thought about it myself.

Celiece was articularly trained into being able to survive torture, and she was no use to anyone dead. Fire God Slayer or not if she died her power would just move on to the next possible heir. In fact both of them were better as bargaining chips than anything else, which ment the kidnapper had to keep them alive and separate.