|𝟺𝟿|

Kohl Warren

I watch as she sobs uncontrollably, her shoulders shaking with each heaving breath. Her cheeks are flushed with emotion. Her hands are clenched into tight fists, her nails digging into her palms.

I can almost feel the pain she must be in, both physically and emotionally. The way her body trembles tells me she's struggling to hold it all together.

"Why are you crying?" I ask, my voice barely above a whisper. She looks up at me, her eyes filled with a mix of worry and anger.

I can't stand to see her like this. It's like a knife to the gut, twisting and turning with each sob that escapes her lips. I wish I knew how to make it better, how to make her smile again.

How did she end up in the lake? She was supposed to stay up there with Athena and Tim. I caught a glimpse of that idiot Rocky, standing safely on the edge of the rocks, while Athena instructed me to find Leia.

The sound of the rushing waterfall tries to drown out her cries, but I can still hear them.

My hands instinctively cling to her waist, desperate to offer some comfort as she continues to let her tears flow.

It fills me with self-directed anger. This is all my fault. I should have made sure she knew I was safe.

"Don't cry," I whisper, hoping to soothe her. But my words only seem to amplify her tears, prompting me to gently wipe them away from her flawless, round cheeks.

"Don't ever do that again," she manages to say amidst her sobs, her voice trembling and rough.

I respond by tightening my grip on her waist, wanting to reassure her that I understand the gravity of my mistake.

"I won't, I promise," I assure her, but as her gorgeous green eyes lock onto mine with anger, my eyebrows furrow.

Why are her tears still flowing? She's far too beautiful to be shedding them over me.

As she continues to cry, her long, flowing hair sticks to her tear-streaked face, making her look even more vulnerable.

Her petite frame trembles in my arms, and I can feel her heartbeat racing against mine.

Rocky, that fearless daredevil with a penchant for dramatic entrances, lets out a deafening scream of "Cannonball!" that makes all of us snap our heads up in surprise.

The three of them, Athena, Tim, and Rocky, grasp each other's hands tightly as they take the plunge into the cool, refreshing waters of the lake. As Ant emerges from the water, his hair plastered to his forehead and a scowl etched on his face.

He curses loudly in frustration.

Leia and I can't contain our laughter, the sound of her laughter mingling with mine, momentarily banishing her earlier tears.

"You are all just incorrigible," Leia manages to say amid her infectious laughter, a mixture of annoyance and amusement evident in her voice.

The sight of her smiling and laughing so freely causes a warmth to spread in my chest.

When Tim, Athena, and Rocky finally resurface from their aquatic escapade, the sight of their bedraggled appearances sets off another round of laughter from all of us, except Rocky, who looks slightly miffed.

He reaches his hand out to Tim, who swims over, probably expecting some sort of payment.

"Do you honestly think I'm carrying around a sack of cash in my back pocket while I'm surrounded by water?" Tim retorts, rolling his eyes at the absurdity of the situation.

Athena and Leia burst into laughter, while poor Rocky just groans in exasperation.

Man, we are one odd group.

(How do we feel about this chapter?) ->

....