|𝟽𝟷|

Leia Welsh

He told me he loved me, and I couldn't bring myself to say it back. It's not that I don't love him too, but the words just couldn't come out. My heart was pounding all night, and I couldn't sleep a wink.

I kept wondering if I should sneak into his room and tell him, but my body wouldn't let me. I'm awful.

I hear a gentle knock on the door, and in walks Margret, looking stylish with her one-sided braid and black loose dress. She sits on the bed, concern written all over her face.

"Did you two have a fight? Kohl was so quiet last night," she asks, making me feel guilty as I sit up because I'm the reason why he was so quiet, I'm the problem.

"He told me he loved me," I confess in a whisper as the words just come out of my mouth without thinking.

Margret lights up with joy, then her expression shifts to worry when she sees my lack of enthusiasm.

"You don't feel the same way?" she questions.

I feel safe opening up to her, even though it's strange considering she's Warren's mom. She truly cares about how I feel, and her kindness touches my heart. She also cares about her son a lot, I've seen it in the way they talk and joke around, it's sweet.

"I do, but I'm scared of getting hurt again," I admit, my voice trembling. She moves closer, placing her hand on mine.

"Again?" she inquires. I feel a flood of emotions rise up, and the tears start to flow.

"My dad passed away when I was young, and my mom lost contact with me during high school, it shattered me. I don't know if I can handle losing someone else," I reveal, letting the pain wash over me.

"Oh, sweetheart, I'm so sorry," Margret responds, tears welling up in her eyes.

She embraces me tightly, offering comfort that makes me somehow want my mom. We stay like that for a while, wrapped in a warm hug, until my tears subside, and a sense of peace settles between us.

"I know how my son was in college, what they call a 'playboy' these days, but three surprising things caught me off guard. My son has never introduced us to a girl, never said "I love you" to a girl and has never looked at any girl the way he looks at you," The soft glow radiating off of her makes my heart feel like it's going to explode. It makes me so happy that I can't help but smile.

"You should get dressed and open presents," she says, winking at me with a mischievous twinkle in her eye, causing my eyes to widen in surprise.

"Wait, what? I didn't get anything for you guys," I say, feeling guilty.

"You have next Christmas to do that," she laughs before leaving the room and closing the door behind her.

Next Christmas! My chest feels like there are a ton of bricks crushing it. I need to tell Warren that I love him. I want to. I can't explain it, but it feels more important than my own health right now.

As I watch the snow fall outside, I smile to myself before heading to the bathroom in the bedroom to freshen up and change. I throw my hair into a bun, slip into a crop top plaid sweater, and pull on some blue jeans.

Downstairs, everyone is waiting. Reese is sitting on Sabrina's lap, clapping her hands in excitement at the beautifully decorated tree in the corner.

Sammie is chatting with gramps about college. And yes, I'm calling him "gramps" because he insisted on it, more like demanded it, since we're family now.

The thought makes me smile to myself. Jackie and Margaret are having a blast, sharing jokes that I can't quite make out from my spot across the room.

Meanwhile, my boyfriend is looking as handsome as ever, his sapphire eyes scanning me from head to toe. Dressed in a casual gray t-shirt and blue jeans, he manages to make my heart skip a beat.

His smile lights up my world, and I can't help but focus solely on him, blocking out everyone else in the room. But just as I'm lost in his gaze, Margret suddenly claps her hands to grab our attention. "It's present time!" she announces, as Reese excitedly bounces up and down, bringing laughter to the room. "Leia, you go first," she insists, surprising me.

I hesitate, not wanting to steal anyone else's chance to go first, but everyone insists that I start. I realize they must have picked out my presents last minute, not knowing I would be joining them.

Growing up the way I have, I've never been too particular about gifts, but this moment feels special.

Opening the present from Reese and Sammie, I burst into laughter when I see a framed photo from the previous night, capturing us all goofing around after Reese did my makeup. Despite looking a bit ridiculous in the picture, the joy on my face is undeniable.

"I love this! Thanks, guys," I beam, touched by their thoughtful gesture. Sammie winks at me, while Reese blushes and giggles, making my heart swell.

Next up is the gift from Margret, Jackie, Sabrina, and Gramps. I unwrap it to find a mug with the initials M&W, which leaves me a bit puzzled. Sensing my confusion, Margret chuckles.

"Since you're part of the family now, we got you a cup with our last name initials. Moss was my maiden name, and Warren is my married name, so we went with M&W... which, in hindsight, might not have been the best idea," she explains, as Jackie joins in the laughter.

"I absolutely love it! Thank you so much," I gush, expressing my gratitude repeatedly. As the others open their gifts, I can't help but steal glances at Warren, watching him laugh and smile throughout the exchange.

I'm head over heels for this man. Completely obsessed.

(How do we feel about this chapter?) ->

....