42. Moment of Troth

"I, James Carter," the captain's firm voice rang out over the deck of the ship, drawing everyone's attention, including mine, to the couple, "take thee, Adaira Louise Jannet Melanie Georgette Ambrose, to be my wedded wife, to have and to hold from this day forward, for better or for worse, for richer or for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish, till death us do part, according to God's holy ordinance; and thereto I plight thee my troth."

Eyes filled with determination, Adaira lifted her hand, intertwined with his, and pressed it against the spot where her heart was beating.

"I, Adaira Louise Jannet Melanie Georgette Ambrose, take thee, James Carter, to be my wedded husband, to have and to hold from this day forward, for better or for worse, for richer or for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love, cherish, and to obey, till death us do part, according to God's holy ordinance; and thereto I give thee my troth."

A blinding smile spread across the tanned face of Captain James Carter, as if the sun had just risen over the horizon and spread light through a dark and dreary world. The answering smile from Adaira was so filled with pure, unadulterated happiness that it almost hurt to look at. And yet, I noticed, Mr Ambrose didn't take his eyes off it, and her, for a single moment. And that soft look in his eyes...

Oh my. Was he happy for her? What excellent blackmail material!

I was distracted from my future evil plans by Captain Carter pulling a ring out of his pocket. For a moment, I wondered where the heck he had gotten a ring from in this place—until I saw Granny Aatifa wink at me. Then she turned to Karim and threw him a "See? I'm such a good mother and even provide help and equipment. Why can't you get married already?" kind of look.

Karim studiously inspected his sabre.

"With this ring," Carter spoke as he gently lifted his bride's hand, "I thee wed. With my body I thee worship, and with all my worldly goods I thee endow."

"As pitiful as they are," Mr Ambrose muttered. "Damnable pauper."

I stepped on his foot.

"In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost," the captain finished the traditional words. "Amen."

Then both he and Adaira turned towards my dear husband with hopeful looks on their faces. As for my husband? Well, he, right at this moment, had a truly wonderful non-expression on his face. He looked like a stone statue who had just been given taste buds, only to be force-fed a bucket of castor oil. I had to suppress the urge to snicker, because I knew exactly why. I knew what was coming.

The looks on the couple's faces became even more hopeful. More expectant. Mr Ambrose's face, on the other hand, turned even more stony, except for a certain muscle in his cheek that twitched spasmodically.

For a long moment, he remained silent.

A really, really, long moment.

Then he finally forced his clenched teeth apart and, in a voice that left no doubt he was acting under duress, said:

"Then, before God and this company, and against my better judgement, I pronounce you man and wife. You may...peck the bride on the cheek. Chastely."

Immediately, Adaira grabbed Captain Carter by the ears, dragged him down towards her and laid a kiss on his lips that was as far from chaste as it was possible to get without tapdancing on a table in your underwear. Out of the corner of my eye, I glanced at my dear husband, who had stiffened into a block of ice. Somehow, I didn't think he agreed with her interpretation of the word "chaste".

Cheers exploded from all around. The sailors, who had once more emerged on deck, threw their hats into the air. Granny Aatifa wiped tears from the corners of her eyes and elbowed her son to give him some motivation. Most people present—with the exception of a certain stony business mogul—couldn't keep a smile off their faces at this scene. And, to be honest, neither could I.