Cold Night

The night was dark and cold. Y/N sat at the peak of the wall. He had a perfect angle, one away from the sights of guards and a sight line to the gymnasium, that was transformed for the event. Y/N could still hear a glimpse of the classical music playing at the party below. He opened the case with his heavy hands and lifted the cold metallic rifle, and raised it to his face.

Through the telescopic sight, he saw his target, a man with blonde hair and blue eyes. His face was cleanly shaved, and a scar ran from his chin to his cheek. He was wearing his black officer uniform minus the hat. Through the window on the gym roof, he witnessed him skipping  elegantly through the dance floor, covered in a sea of dancers.

Volker had set his sights on a lonely lady tonight. When the agent from outside saw the wonder the Nazi brought to the center was the one he loved, his cold body became feverishly hot. His heartbeat became uncontrollable, and his hands shaking. It was the worst position to be in as a sniper. The sniper took a knee for a better angle. The crosshairs were pointed at the targets head.

He removed his face from the scope to try to calm down. Quickly, he checked for guards. He was alone. Shinra was happy but not at the same time. He aims the rifle again. He sees his enemy dancing with his love interest. Behind them, he spots a happy drunk nazi. He identifies him as the Red Fang. The Red Fang's cheeks were red from the wine he guzzles from the bottle. The one-eyed nazi was barely holding his laughter together, a wine bottle in one hand, a radio in the other. He raised the radio to his mouth and spoke. Shinra heard his voice loud and clear.

Red Fang: Are you gonna take the shot or watch him steal your crush. Over...

Shinra: You are not helping me here. Over...

After the static turned back into silence, Shinra looked through the sights once more. His finger practically frozen to the cold metal trigger. The elegant movement of the dance floor has stopped. With crosshairs pointed at the man's head, Shinra noticed 2 things. First, Ryuko had discomfort written all over her beautiful face. Second, Volker began to lean his body closer and closer to Ryuko. The motion looked like he was hoping to get a kiss.

These actions motivated Shinra to pull the trigger. The world heard a gunshot, the breaking of glass, and the quiet thud of a body. Blood and brain parts spill out of the Nazi's skull. The dead had been done, but Shinra was not done. He fired again, and again, and again. One shot became 2, 2 became 3, and soon, 5. With each shot hitting the body. The motionless body stayed motionless after every shot.

Shinra dropped the rifle and ran, down the wall and into the backdoor to the gym. There awaited the Red Fang. Without exchanging words, he gave Shinra a pat on the back and dragged him back to the party. His emotionless expression stayed as he saw everyone panicking, looking mesmerized, or cowering in fear. In the darkness of this cold night came a light. A light that Y/N needed.

Ryuko: Are you ok, Y/n?

Her navy blue dress was covered in blood spots. He did not notice that as he was focused on the face. Her eyes showed both shock and relief. Right under her left eye was a little blood spot. With graceful hands, Y/N wiped away the blood of her face. The gesture left her flattered and confused.

Ryuko: You look sick. What happened?

He remembers her for her tough exterior, not the kind angel that she was on the inside. It has been what felt like millennia when he last heard her voice be so kind and gentle. He loved her but she only saw him as a friend
With everything going on around them, he just wanted to leave. Just the 2 of them. Y/N could only pull a few words out of his mouth.

Y/N: Food poisoning. I threw up a lot.

Falling for his deception, she grabbed his hand. It was not like how The Red Fang grabbed him. It was not a hard grip, but light as a feather. Together, they left the scene of the crime. Away from the lights, away from the music, away from death. Into the night.

To Be Continued...