prologue

One Year Ago

In a cabin near the woods in Mystic Falls, Virginia most high school students were partying before school officially started on Monday. A small group of friends were sitting in the barn laughing. Amongst those were five high school sophomores; Spencer Hastings, Alison Di'Larauntes, Caroline Forbes, Bonnie Bennett and Elena Gilbert.

"Hey, you guys coming?" Caroline said getting up from her spot on the couch with Bonnie on her lead. Caroline Forbes was a beautiful young woman with a pale complexion, blue-green eyes and medium length blonde curly hair. She had a slim, and toned figure.

Spencer shook her head shrugging , "actually you guys carry on, I don't really feel like it." She had a very slim face complimented with high cheekbones, thin lips, and green almond shaped eyes. She had a peach and cream complexion and long medium brown hair which fell down her back in waves.

Caroline sighed, "come on! It is the end of the summer party. We are going to be sophomores. We survived freshman year, we have to go," she begged her voice filled with annoyance.

"By definition you do," Bonnie agreed. Bonnie Bennett was a beautiful and petite young African-American woman with olive green eyes, a heart-shaped face and black hair.

"You know what? I am going to cut too." Alison said winking at Spencer. Spencer just grinned causing Caroline to scoff. Alison Di'Larauntes was a very attractive young girl with golden blonde hair and blue eyes. Her face was heart-shaped.

"Fine suit yourself, I'll see you guys later," Caroline said irritated and walked out of the barn. Bonnie looked at the others apologetically and followed Caroline.

"What aren't you going to go too?" Alison asked looking at Elena.

Elena Gilbert was a beautiful and quite tall young woman with an oval face, light olive complexion, almond-shaped brown eyes and smooth, long, straight dark brown hair. She shrugged her shoulders and drank some beer real fast which caused Spencer to frown because Elena never drank. She was the classic goody-two shoes girl. "I would rather do this," Elena said taking another long sip of the beer.

"Elena," Spencer started.

"Leave it, Spence. She dumped Matt, this is the guilty talking," Alison rolled her eyes. Matt was Elena's ex-boyfriend of 6 years. They had been best friends since they were in cribs. Elena rolled her eyes at Alison and finished another beer bottle in one go.

"Careful Elena, or you'll tell us all your secrets," Spencer said teasingly.

Elena smiled in return and Allison said, "friends share secrets. That's what keeps them together."

*

Present Time

A couple is driving through the time at midnight. The boy, Darren, said, "an hour's drive to hear that crap. You know, it wasn't even a band. A guy with a guitar." He looks at his wife, "an hour each way."

"He wasn't that bad," Brooke, his wife said rolling her eyes. "He sounded like James Blunt,"
Darren scoffed. Brooke raised her eyebrows, "what's wrong with that?"

"We already have a James Blunt," Darren shrugged, "one's all we need."

Brooke sighed, "so why did you come?"

Darren looked at her, "because I love you."

She scoffed, "nicely done." She looked outside the car and saw fog surrounding them, "what's with all the fog?"

"It'll clear in a second," Darren frowned.

"Watch out!" Brooke yelled as they run over a man.

Darren suddenly hit the brakes and looked at Brooke, "are you okay?"