A New Beginning Part 3/?: New belongings/Makeover

Later that day (12pm)

"Charlie?" Mum opens my bedroom door.

"Yeah?" I turn my head to look at her, putting down my remote control.

She smiles.

"Shall we go shopping now?"

"Sure." I smile back, turning the TV off.

"Cool. Cya downstairs." She smiles again, before turning round and leaving.

I walk over to the table under my TV and place the remote control back, before slipping on my trainers and heading downstairs.

"Uh... Dad?" I pause.

"Yeah bud?"

"Before we go, do you have any clothes I could borrow..? Mine are a little small and really worn and people might... think things. And misunderstand the situation..."

We don't really want anyone thinking they're neglecting me.

"Ah... yes, you're right... I'll go get you something." He chuckles.

"Thanks." I smile.

"No prob." He nods, before turning round and leaving.

I turn round and go to sit on the sofa, before realising with a panic that I've forgotten something important.

"Wait, Dad!" I yell, turning back round and chasing him up the stairs.

"Yeah?" He turns back round on the stairs, looking at me quizzically.

"Uhh..." I hesitate.

He looks at me, and then his face softens in realisation.

"Long sleeved t-shirt?" He asks gently.

"Um... yeah, please..."

He smiles reassuringly.

"No worries."

I smile and nod a little in a nervous thanks, before anxiously turning round and walking back downstairs.

"You alright?" Mum asks as I walk back into the living room.

"Mmh-hmm." I nod.

"Yeah...? You don't sound too sure."

"Yeah. I'm fine." I sit down on the sofa, smiling slightly.

She keeps her eyes trained on mine for a second, before smiling back a little, reassuringly.

"Um... anyway, where are we going for shopping...? I don't know this area at all..." I ask nervously.

The Orphanage is quite far from here, and even during the rare times we ventured out of that prison, we never went more than twenty minutes away.

She smiles softly.

"There's a town centre about a half an hour drive from here with three stories full of shops, so we're going there. That way you'll have plenty of choices."

"Oh wow, three stories is a lot!" I chuckle.

"Yeah, it is." She laughs slightly.

"Righhhhttttt!" Dad re-enters the room holding a folded outfit. "Here you go champ." He smiles, handing it to me.

"Thanks." I smile.

"No prob. They'll be a bit big obviously as you're not quite six feet tall but y'know." He chuckles.

I laugh, "Yeah, it's fine."

I go up and change into the outfit he's given me (a long sleeved t-shirt - just like I asked for - with a white torso and scarlet red sleeves, and a pair of denim ripped jeans), shove my trainers on, and then go back downstairs.